Ordering from LDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering from LDS

Well. I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a microfilm from the LDS, to go to my local centre. I placed the order a week ago, and apart from the initial e-mail, nothing else seems to be happening. I know it said on their website that it can take up to 180 days to be sent, and that's fine, am not in any major hurry (but if it comes sooner than that, great)

My question is does anyone know on average how long these things take to be sent, do I need to let my local centre know (I ordered it on-line), and is there anything else I need to do.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I once waited almost nine months for one film presumably because it was very popular, lol!

I haven't used the new online ordering system but the LDS is normally extremely efficient, so if you needed to do something else, they would have told you I think.

OC

Comment

Ooh, I hope mines not that popular - do you think there would be many people wanting the church/civil records for dutch people with surnames beginning with M from Indonesia :D.

Thanks OC, will be interesting to see how it goes then.
      Linda

Comment

I think it depends on the film. Here in Italy, the films are normally sent from a centre in Germany, and take about a month, but if they don't have it, it has to be sent from Utah, which takes a lot longer.

Comment

I waited for about 2 months and they notified me by phone when it had arrived Linda.
          Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hi,
            You can check the status of your film on the website where you placed the order. Mine took about six weeks to arrive!!

I also received emails notifying me of the film's status. You have it for on loan for 90 days, but you can renew on line.

A word of warning, my LDS centre was closed for the whole of August, which happened last year and this year. A bit annoying if you 90 days falls during that time!!

You may need to book a viewer at your LDs centre, as they seem quite keen to know who's going to be there.

I haven't had any problems and the staff are always interested in what you're researching.

Hope this is of some help.

Life must be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.

Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to it arriving.
              Linda

Comment

Well, had an e-mail from them to say that it has been done, so should now be waiting for me at the local office . Now all I need to do is work out when to go next week to have a look at it.
                Linda

Comment

Linda, if you are going to the Reading centre, I have always had a phone call from them when the film has arrived there. You do need to book a day and time with them, they are not open every day and have a limited number of viewers.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, I had just looked them up on line to find their number - I thought I had to check with them first. As the e-mail arrived on Saturday, they might phone tomorrow, obviously not had a chance to do so yet. You must live quite close to me then (Reading area).
                    Linda

Comment

Yes, I'm in Reading. Remember no tea or coffee allowed to be consumed on the premises! I always took a bottle of water.

Anne

Comment

Thanks for that tip Anne - I've only been once before a couple of years ago, so am a bit vague on what is allowed. At least, for me, it is quite easy to get to, and has good parking.
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X