Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping help

Hi

I have been told many stories that my great grandad was one of the first people to map Malaysia. I know he definately worked in the Ordnance Survey as he says he is a cartographer on BMD records. My nan also told me last night that my grandad was born in Edinburgh because it was where my great grandad was based while doing this mapping.

The Ordnance Survey says on their website that they do not have copies of personnel records, so is there any way of finding out if my grandad did actually go to Malaysia and map it (there was also a story that my grandads little dog was eaten by a snake). I have ordered a copy of my grandads birth certificate in Edinburgh, but my nan thought that my great grandad was actually in the army doing it and was some sort of sergeant. Is this likely to be true too?

If it helps my grandad was born in 1933
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

That kind of mapping certainly was an army activity - an army prerogative: they needed the info for manoeuvres... hence the word "ordnance" in "Ordnance Survey". I was going to say it started out as a military activity - but they were needed for sailing, for merchants on their travels, and for identification of real estate.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What is the name? There could be service records online?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
        Hi

I have been told many stories that my great grandad was one of the first people to map Malaysia. I know he definately worked in the Ordnance Survey as he says he is a cartographer on BMD records. My nan also told me last night that my grandad was born in Edinburgh because it was where my great grandad was based while doing this mapping.

The Ordnance Survey says on their website that they do not have copies of personnel records, so is there any way of finding out if my grandad did actually go to Malaysia and map it (there was also a story that my grandads little dog was eaten by a snake). I have ordered a copy of my grandads birth certificate in Edinburgh, but my nan thought that my great grandad was actually in the army doing it and was some sort of sergeant. Is this likely to be true too?

If it helps my grandad was born in 1933
        You could send for his service records at a cost of £30 from MOD which would tell you where he served and his job.

Margaret

Comment

wow i never thought that he would actually have service records, will take a quick look on Ancestry and perhaps send off for them. Thanks so much for your help (thats actually him in my photo. Its Herbert Walters)
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

You could have a loook at the National Archives Research Guide here - he may have been either military or civilian

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I think chances are he must have been a civilian. In the 1911 census when he was 15 he was already working at the OS so im guessing he must have been employed there then sent with the army to Malaysia?
              Robyne

Comment

Working...
              X