sheffield mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheffield mystery

Isabella McCallum married William Furniss in 1882 in Sheffield and they had two daughters Alice in 1884 and Ada Caroline in 1886.The family were on the 1891 census Alice 7 and Ada C 5.Isabella was widowed in 1893 and remarried to a John William Wales in 1896.On the 1901 census the family were John W Wales Isabella Wales wife ,Alice Furniss stepdaughter aged 16 and John son aged 3 . Ada Caroline is missing. I have searched for her death on BMD ,But cannot find anything,I was wondering if she had gone into service but would have thought that the elder girl Alice at16 would have been first to go as Ada wold have only been 14 . any ideas or tips would be very welcome to solve this mystery.

Here they are in 1911 but no sign of Ada

WALES, John William Head Married 38 years M 45 1866 Holder Up For Steel Plate Shearers Kings Lyn Norfolk
    WALES, Isabel Wife Married 38 years F 51 1860 Newcastle on Tyne
    WALES, John William Son Single M 13 1898 Pittsmoor Sheffield
    HELLIWELL, Alice Daughter Married 2 years F 27 1884 Walkley Sheffield
    HELLIWELL, Charles Henry Son In Law Married 2 years M 27 1884 File Warehouse Man Wollen Lane Sheffield
    HELLIWELL, Harry Grandson M 0 (11 MONTHS) 1911 Pitsmoor Sheffield
    Reference:
    RG14PN28061 RG78PN1603 RD511 SD2 ED19 SN119

Address:
    116 Effingham St Rotherham

Comment

There's this in the death index
      Ada Caroline Furniss
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
      Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1895
      Age at Death: 0
      Registration district: Sheffield Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
      Volume: 9c Page: 295

I wonder if the age is wrong and it should be 10

Margaret

Comment

there is a Ada Furness listed on the 1901 born listed as niece.
        living next door is a Wm Henry Furniss his wife and their children.....
        wonder if this could be her.
        I see from your profile you are a new member,... welcome.
        just to say that names are often mis spelt, so you need to check variations.

Looking at the marriage index Ada Caroline married in Sheffield in 1912

Comment

Checked the birth index and can't see a corresponding birth for the 1895 death but there is this one

Ada Caroline Furniss
          Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1889
          Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow Inferred County: Derbyshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
          Volume: 9c Page: 382

Comment

sheffield mystery

thank tou for fitting another piece into the family jig saw margaret.i have been trying to find charles henrys place of birth,now i can go onto another branch of our family tree. ada caroline is still evading us though ,the dates seem wrong but i will keep on trying,the main thing is i have gone a little further as the alice and charles henry helliwell are my grand parents x

Comment

thanks janet,i shall follow up on your tips and see how far they take me

Comment

Originally posted by isabella View Post
                thank tou for fitting another piece into the family jig saw margaret.i have been trying to find charles henrys place of birth,now i can go onto another branch of our family tree. ada caroline is still evading us though ,the dates seem wrong but i will keep on trying,the main thing is i have gone a little further as the alice and charles henry helliwell are my grand parents x
                I think you need to consider getting the marriage certificate for the Ada Caroline Janet found to check and eliminate her if nothing else.

Do ask if you need any more help.

Margaret

Comment

No sign of Ada Caroline on 1911.

I see on ancestry that the 1891 census for the family has a correction attached by a member whose username is deemon987 if that isn't you it might be worth contacting them to find out what they know.
                  Margaret

Comment

ada caroline furniss was buried on the 7th of february 1895,- aged 9 -father william furniss.
                    She died at the fever hospital.Death date 4th february 1895.

I got the information from this site which is free membership.A terrific site for the sheffield area.
                    Sheffield Records Online website provides index to 1841, 1851 (full) & 1861 (partial) Sheffield census, Trade Directories. Features personal database of members Sheffield interests.
                    Last edited by the meercat; 09-11-11, 05:46.
                    the meercat.

Comment

Originally posted by the meercat View Post
                      ada caroline furniss was buried on the 7th of february 1895,- aged 9 -father william furniss.
                      She died at the fever hospital.Death date 4th february 1895.

I got the information from this site which is free membership.A terrific site for the sheffield area.
                      http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/
                      Well done Meercat! This must be who we're looking for as age 9 in 1895 makes her born 1886 and the father's name is right too. The death index is wrong with age 0 showing.
                      Margaret

Comment

thank you meerkat you may have solved the long standing mystery i will go on to this site it sounds really good .isabella

Comment

margaret,deemon 987 is my daughter, alice and charles henry are her great grand parents.i have had another suggestion from another member as to the fate of ada c,which seems very likely as the dates match

Comment

Alls well that ends well.:D
                            the meercat.

Comment

do you have any idea which cematary she would have been buried in or how i could possibly find out

Comment

Ada caroline furniss was buried in the General Cemetary,Sheffield.Grave number T2 114.
                                the meercat.

Comment

thanks meercat we will certainly visit her grave ,weather permitting

Comment

Working...
                                  X