Richard Egan Lee and Charles Dickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Egan Lee and Charles Dickens

In 1865 Thomas Homer (great-grandfather x4) married Fanny Lee in Chertsey, Surrey, Fanny's father was stated as Richard Egan Lee - a Printer.
    Although I've been able to trace the Homer family fairly easily, Fanny's family are an enigma and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me piece together the pieces of information that I have to date

From the census it appears that Fanny was born in Fleet Street, London - c1841 - 1846. However, I haven't been able to trace her with her family and the only facts that I am certain of is that she married Thomas and died in 1915.

In Jan 1844, Charles Dickens launched a copyright suit against the printers and publishers Richard Egan Lee and John Haddock. 'A Christmas Carol' had been published in Dec 1843 and on Jan 6 1844, Lee and Haddock's version appeared for sale under the title 'A Christmas Ghost Story'. From the facts that I have established I'm wondering whether this 'Richard Egan Lee' is the one stated on Fanny's marriage certificate. The fact that the census says she was born in Fleet Street, makes me think he might be - but of course I can't as yet be certain. Any thoughts or help would be so appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Catie
    Last edited by Catiel; 07-11-11, 12:10.

Something to be working with - a baptism of a Richard Egan Lee in 1848 - Image shows father is Richard, occupation printer

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about Richard Egan Lee
    Richard Egan Lee
    Baptism 13 Sep 1848
    Father: Richard Lee
    Mother: Mary Lee
    Parish or Poor Law Union: Brompton Holy Trinity
    Borough: Kensington and Chelsea

address at the time shown as ?? 30 Montpellier Row ??

Do you have access to Ancestry - if so this is a link to the record:

- just noticed baptism for Fanny is on the same page - gives her date of birth as 17th February 1841 - so we should find her in the 1841 census
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. No, I don't have access to Ancestry - only FindmyPast. Can't find Fanny ( as yet ) with Richard or Mary though. Will take a look at her possible sibling.

Comment

There are some other baptisms showing up on the Ancestry LMA records which might be of interest ..

Louisa Frances Lee 17 Dec 1854
        parents - Richard Egan Lee, Milbrow Frances Lee
        St Mary Aldermary City of London

Felicia Lee 8 Feb 1857
        parents - Richard Egan Lee, Milbrow Frances Lee
        Westcheap St Peter City of London

William Richard Lee 14 Oct 1859
        parents - Richard Egan Lee, Melbron Frances Lee
        Westcheap St Peter City of London

.. but struggling to find any of them on the census at the moment!
        Elaine

Comment

found 1861 census - you should be able to find it on Findmypast using the census reference which is RG9; Piece: 221; Folio: 36; Page: 75

Household listed on Ancestry as

Richd E Lee 50 (occ printer/newspaper manager) - born Manningford Wiltshire
          Milbrow F Lee 30
          Felicia Lee 4
          William K Lee 1

Milbrow looks a little young! Possibly second marriage.
          Elaine

Comment

Probably the same Richard in 1851
            HO107; Piece: 1512; Folio: 347; Page: 34

Household:
            Richard E Lee 41 - occ printer
            Mary Lee 41
            Mary Martin 20

living Strand

- but no children listed ???
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that info Elaine. Now have so much more to go on. I haven't found brother Richard on FindmyPast - but that's no surprise Will keep looking.

Comment

That's interesting Elaine - wonder where the children are. You are really quick at finding the info

Comment

I might be sending you on a wild goose chase here, but it might be worth checking to see if Richard Egan Lee went to Australia.
                  His name with an occupation of publisher is popping up on the Trove site -
                  Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.
                  Elaine

Comment

From Ancestry:

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
                    Richard Egan Lee
                    Death Place: Victoria
                    Registration Year: 1879
                    Registration Place: Victoria
                    Registration Number: 2199

That would give an estimated birth year of c 1809 which is about what you are looking for (according to the 1861 census we found)
                    Elaine

Comment

There are a number of trees on Ancestry which show a Richard Egan Lee born Manningford Wiltshire, dying in Australia.

As you haven't got access to Ancestry I will see if I can find these trees on another website called Mundia and give you a link. Back in a mo!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for all your help Elaine.

Comment

Here's the link
                          http://www.mundia.com/es/Search/Resu...bersOnly=false

click on the first one 1809-1879 and you will get a list of trees which include him. You should be able to click on each one individually to see what they have got.
                          If you register on Mundia you should be able to contact the tree owner for more information.
                          Elaine

Comment

Looks as if he might have been quite a character! ;)
                            Elaine

Comment

Catie - apologies - I didn't look at the image of the baptism record closely enough

The baptisms that took place on 13th Sept 1848 were for:
                              Richard - born 17 Feb 1841
                              Fanny - born 17 Feb 1841
                              Ann - born 7 Nov 1843

which means that this is a possible for Mary and two of the children in 1861 census
                              Household:
                              Mary Ann Lee 55
                              Richard Egan Lee 20
                              Annie Lee 17

RG9; Piece: 25; Folio: 42; Page: 3
                              Elaine

Comment

.. and 1851 census
                                HO107; Piece: 1469; Folio: 26; Page: 44

household:
                                Mary Lee 41
                                Richard Lee 10
                                Fanny Lee 9
                                Anne Lee 8
                                Alice Schofield 51

- so may be Mary was enumerated twice - once with the children and secondly with husband Richard.
                                Elaine

Comment

Thank you for all the info Elaine - lots of info and leads which I will explore.

I would agree that he sounds rather a character I think all the skeletons are beginning to fall out of the cupboard

Comment

A few marriages to untie there I think - have fun!
                                    I know nothing about Australian research but there are many members here who do, so just ask if you need any more help.
                                    Elaine

Comment

A marriage for the son?
                                      Richard Egan Lee to Susan Selina Powell 2nd Jan 1868 St John's church Napier. This comes from Hawkes Bay Herald on Paperspast.
                                      Moggie

Comment

Do you have access to the 19C newspaper collection (often available through your library)?

Richard Egan Lee appears several times in 1842, 1844 and 1845 in various bankruptcy courts, sometimes alone and at others with a partner. Then in 1849 he is "Richard Egan Lee of Glasgow" getting a grant of patent on a bread making machine!!

This made me look at the Scottish census and in Glasgow there is Richard Egan Lee (aged 2, born in England and presumably the baptism found above) with his father called Thomas Vincent Lee. Not sure if that helps???

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X