St. Peter ad Vincular, Tower of London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Peter ad Vincular, Tower of London

I am researching the Scott family history. The Scotts came from Canonbie, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. My GGG Grandfather George Scott had a daughter Jane who was born in 1834 in Canonbie. Searching through other family trees I have discovered a Jane Scott who had the right parents, married to a George Rowe in St. Peter ad Vincular in The Tower of London on 24 dec. 1850. I cannot contact the owner of the tree, so wondered if someone could enlighten me as to how it might come about that these two were married in this particular church. Also to prove things one way or another, can anyone tell me where I should apply for the appropriate marriage certificate. Any help will be much appreciated.

Here's the marriage certificate details

Jane Scott
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1850
    Registration district: Whitechapel Inferred County: London
    Volume Number: 2 Page Number: 618

Just order from GRO in the normal way.
    Margaret

Comment

The church itself seems to be a parish church http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Pet...ncula_(London) and http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/...RoyalofStPeter so maybe nothing unusual to get married there.

Or if it was restricted to certain people then maybe he worked in the Tower as a guard or soldier?
      Margaret

Comment

This link might get you a copy of the original register:

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-11-11, 22:20.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X