Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is 'The Bishop'?

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have a subscription to Find My Past, but one of my family does not appear in the 1861 and 1871 Census. However, when I search for him on Ancestry he does appear. The person in question is Thomas Legh Claughton, who was born in Winwick during 1808 and died at Danbury Palace in 1892. Can anyone throw any light on why this might be?
    Many Thanks,
    Catie

1871 on Findmypast - transcribed as Thomas L Cloughton
    1861 on Findmypast - transcribed as Thomas Leyb Cloughton
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine for finding him .

I can see that the information was mis- transcribed, but how did you find him please? Am I using this site in the wrong way? I think you may have already guessed that I'm a newbie to research

Comment

I checked the entry on Ancestry and used the census reference to find them on Findmypast.

You probably would have also been able to find them on Findmypast if you had ticked the include variants box under the surname search box.
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine
          Now I am prepared for the next time

Comment

Remember that on findmypast that if you want to include a middle name or initial in a census search you need to use the advanced search option. If you put two names in the "first name" box you will get no results.

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

One of the most useful ways of searching for mistranscriptions is to use wildcards.

For example, if you're searching for Claughton, you could put C*ton, which will find any name beginning with "C" and ending with "ton".

Comment

Thank you Scuda and Mary for those tips - really useful. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X