what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do?

i'm trying to trace the origins of adrien DESBLEDS. i know he was in mauritius in 1757, when he married marie nicole CARNARDELLE. he died there in 1777. family trees claim he is from lorient, in morbihan, brittany, and that his parents were jean baptiste DESBLEDS and marie anne aimee ETIENNE.

RECORDS OF ADRIEN DESBLEDS:

on the 21 mar 1754, lorient, adrien and his wife julie claire LEDEAN baptised their son ambroise noel DESBLEDS.

on 2 apr 1754, julie DES HAN, wife of sir adrien noel DESBLEDS was buried in lorient. the burial register says she was originally of quimper, in finistere, brittany.

RECORDS OF FRANCOIS DESBLES:

a francois DESBLES married in lorient, 1753 to therese BAUPRE. the record says he was originally from caen, normandy and his parents were major jean DESBLES and marguerite ETIENNE.
    an adrien DESBLES is listed among the witnesses as the brother of the groom.
    francois had a son noel amboise in 1753 and a daughter cecile in 1754. my adrien is a wittness to both christenings, and a godfather at one.

on records concerning francois, the surname is spelled "DESBLES" no 'D'. adrien signed his name "DESBLEDS". the only time the name has no "D" is on francois' marriage.

i guess it's not a long shot that regardless of the spelling adrien and francois are brothers? the father's name from both sources are the same. as is the mother's maiden name.

i could not locate a marriage in lorient for adrien. i guess he was married to julie before they arrived in lorient, which would be around 1753, as that's the first sighting of this surname in the city. i couldn't locate a birth for julie or a marriage in quimper either.

so i guess to summarize, 1) would you accept adrien and francois as brothers? and 2) where would you look for a marriage for adrien? i still don't know which surname julie had!
    Last edited by kylejustin; 07-11-11, 07:10.

I've had a bit of a read through, but I don't think I'm much the wiser. What might make it easier for oldies like me is if you use mixed case: I find it easier to interpret the text in larger chunks that way. I've also picked up (from seeing what other genealogists do) that it's very effective to put surnames in all upper-case, to distinguish them from other text in general, and given names in particular. If you use those conventions, it's easier for the reader to look back through the info and spot what they need to compare one with another.

I can't guarantee that you'll get any more answers, but anything which makes something complex easier to read is likely to be a help!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

"I'm trying to trace the origins of Adrien DESBLEDS. I know he was in Mauritius in 1757, when he married Marie Nicole CARNADELLE. He died there in 1777. Family trees claim he is from Lorient, in Morbihan, Brittany, and that his parents were Jean Baptiste DESBLEDS and Marie Anne Aimee ETIENNE."

I started to copy and edit your post before I read what Christine had posted. Can you see how much easier this first paragraph is to read? We're not being picky, just wanting to be able to read, understand and so hopefully help with your quest.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        "I'm trying to trace the origins of Adrien DESBLEDS. I know he was in Mauritius in 1757, when he married Marie Nicole CARNADELLE. He died there in 1777. Family trees claim he is from Lorient, in Morbihan, Brittany, and that his parents were Jean Baptiste DESBLEDS and Marie Anne Aimee ETIENNE."

I started to copy and edit your post before I read what Christine had posted. Can you see how much easier this first paragraph is to read? We're not being picky, just wanting to be able to read, understand and so hopefully help with your quest.
        Thank you, Judith. That is certainly easier to read. I always like to think that my eyesight is still very good - but it's things like that that force me to admit that it's not as good as it was!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanx for the tip ladies. ill edit my post. ive also found it much easier to understand french surnames if they are in your face!

Comment

....family trees claim he is from lorient, in morbihan, brittany, and that his parents were jean baptiste DESBLEDS and marie anne aimee ETIENNE.
            a francois DESBLES married in lorient, 1753 to therese BAUPRE. the record says he was originally from caen, normandy and his parents were major jean DESBLES and marguerite ETIENNE.
            an adrien DESBLES is listed among the witnesses as the brother of the groom......

No question that Francois Desbled had a brother called Adrien. Whether this is the same Adrien who married marie nicole CARNARDELLE is harder to call. If you have seen the 1757 marriage entry naming Adrien's parents as being the same as those of Francois then it looks likely BUT you say "family trees claim......." If you are just relying on someone else's research they may have made a leap of faith and assumed that he came from Lorient and had these parents rather than proving it.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

i agree judith. i havn't seen the marriage to marie nicole carnardelle, but in 1757, his parents should be mentioned on the record. his age, and place of origin as well. the trees never have a birth estimate. someone out there certainly thinks the adrien desbleds in lorient is the same as the one in mauritius.

none of the trees have any family asides from those parents......im assuming that information came from the marriage record. i cant think why his age was never noted though.

Comment

Thank you, - that does, indeed, make it much easier to pick up at a glance.

And, yes, it all looks plausible, but unproven. I think Judith has the right of it. There is more and more material coming online - including French records. I think it's probably worth returning from time to time to see if anything recently uploaded can help to clarify the picture for you.

Christine

Comment

I'm not sure who married where, but - familysearch catalog lists many mauritius records! Meaning, you'd have to request the films, and see if the records include the ones that interest you.

Comment

that would be a viable option judith, but there are no LDS centres in my area. i would have to travel to my capital city to use one.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      that would be a viable option judith, but there are no LDS centres in my area. i would have to travel to my capital city to use one.
                      Is it worth posting a thread on the Requests board? There are people who would have much less trouble than you getting access to the films, and they may be prepared to do so on your behalf - perhaps when they are going anyway. There's at least one person who lives in Salt Lake, and gets to their library from time to time. She helped me with some amazingly helpful records - but we were starting with a lot of specific information, rather than trawling.

Christine

Comment

i have the date and place for the burial and marriage records. the info came from an index, which appears to have been constructed by a man whose tree supplied the information on adrien in the first place. i sent him an email asking about the information, here's hoping i get a reply!

Comment

y, se habla espanol aqui - and English! Those records looked like they were in French.

Comment

Working...
                          X