getting info on Irish side of family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting info on Irish side of family.

I have traced my New York, Irish clan, here in America back to the relatives that came from Ireland, during the first Potato famine. I know that William Fraher was born between 1837 or 1838 in Waterford, Ire. Different info has age differences and the math gives me different birth years. I hope to make a trip soon to his grave and find his actual date of birth. His enlistment in the Civil War in 1861 at the age of 24, leads me to believe he was born in 1837.His death certificate does not have his date of birth but notes he was 51 when he died in Oct of 1889, gives me 1838.

He received special compensation from the Catholic church, here in the US, to marry Mary Dixon, who was from Antrim, Northern Ireland. She was born about 1843. I can see from the Special Compensation that William Fraher's father was David Fraher and mother Bridget Cairne /Garron. I did locate a brother in US, Patrick Fraher and a sister Bridget Fraher. I suspect he also had relatives in Ohio for when he enlisted in the Civil War it was in an Ohio regiment but after the war he was in Brooklyn, NY. I do find some Fraher's in Ohio during that time period.

His wife, Mary Dixon's parents were Neill Dixon and Mary Curdy and as said earlier she was from Antrim.

How do I now trace the family in Ireland?

Thanks for your help!!!!
    Last edited by ronsearch; 05-11-11, 17:24.

Do you mean special Dispensation? If so, this would normally mean the bride and groom were cousins, or other close relatives.

If it really IS special compensation, then I haven't heard of that, perhaps someone else will know what it is.

OC

Comment

This may help

I remember my mother in law having a large certificate type document very colourful in old hanwriting possibly latin and when I asked about it I was told it was a special dispensation from the Pope for Mother in law but never told what for and never could get my head around what it was about.

Edna

Comment

A dispensation used to be given by the Pope to marry if one of the partners was a protestant in what used to be called a "Mixed Marriage" ie a Catholic marrying a Protestant. Mary Dixon from Antrim Northern Ireland was I suspect a Protestant? Tracing family in Ireland pre 1864 is very difficult. I presume you have tried all American census to get something other than born in Ireland? Before you can search you really do need at least a county of birth though you clearly have a lot of information on the Dispensation certificate which should help in one way, though without all the Irish Parish records being online is not a lot of use to you. Worth checking out all the parish records that are available. Family Serach is fine for those born after 1864 but of little use to you pre 1864.

See our own wikki for how to research in Ireland for further help.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 06-11-11, 10:37.

Comment

I'm sure you've heard that researching ancestors from Ireland can be painful.

I found out from a g'g'uncle's death certificate that one set of ancestors came from Antrim. On another side of the family, the g'g'uncle's DC led me to Donegal. So, even if you have your direct ancestors' BMD certificates, you still need to research all relatives, and hope that one of their records could provide more details. DCs, obits, probate records, even the graveyard (find out who's buried with them).

familysearch (free) has some Protestant records from Antrim. Most Irish Civil reg records begin in 1864. Protestant marriages began earlier. Some of those records exist...

rootsireland may also be useful, but there are fees.

Good luck, & happy hunting!

Comment

as a general rule. protestant records begin in the 17th century. how many have survived is another matter. most surviving catholic records begin in 1828. the irish did a lot of damage to their heritage in their war of independance.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Most Irish Civil reg records begin in 1864. Protestant marriages began earlier. Some of those records exist...
              Sorry, should have said - Civil Reg of protestant marriages began earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Do you mean special Dispensation? If so, this would normally mean the bride and groom were cousins, or other close relatives.

If it really IS special compensation, then I haven't heard of that, perhaps someone else will know what it is.

OC
                I did mean dispensation.. My understanding is that it could mean that one is a non catholic

Comment

Thank you for the helpful information.

Comment

is this 'dispensation' in latin? maybe you could have it translated?

Comment

Working...
                    X