Call from Windows was this a hoax ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call from Windows was this a hoax ?

Got a phone call a few minutes ago ,lady said she is from Windows and my Computer has sent them error reports and am I by the Computer ??? I said why are you ringing me and not emailing ? she repeated that they had received numerous error reports I said no thanks and put the phone down.
    Tell me I was right
    I dialled 1471 after and this was the number she rang from 01614086100

just googled number and it is a hoax seems some people give them credit card details over the phone ? thank goodness Tom never uses the PC as he would have fell for it .
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-11, 16:07.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    Tell me I was right
    You were right!
    Elaine

Comment

she was so insistant Elaine ,:DTom actually said have you got the pc on ????

Comment

I've had that firm ring me a couple of times. I didn't fall for it and also told them we knew someone who could sort any problems for us. They tried telling me that a mate would never know enough to sort the problems out!!!! Very, very persistent I agree.
        Barbara

Comment

I usually string them along for a while until they are getting a bit mad then tell them I have a Mac (its a lie!!!!). Other times I tell them I haven't got a computer. Both of these cause them to say goodbye!

You can tell that they ring me quite often .... suckers!

Anne

Comment

I was reading a forum after this call and it seems some people do fall for it

Comment

Hello Val,

Well done. I had a call about a week ago did not check the number. I just said I do not have a PC (not true) and that there is a fine for calling me as I am on the TPS for what use that is these days.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

thats a point Margaret so am I on that list ?? but I have a feeling you have to repeat your request to have calls them blocked? think I'll contact them

Comment

No, they just ring anyone Val. Theres been huge postings over on Martin Lewis about it for the last year or more. Its not MS - ask them what computer sent them the error reports - they wont know One poor soul over on Martin Lewis found her mother had actually let them take over her computer by remote control - thats why they asked if you were sitting at it - they then told her it would cost £200 to fix all the errors they had found. Of course, on top of that, gawd knows what else they gleaned from having control of the computer.

One chap over there said he was on his computer (he is a computer engineer, so savvy) and then pretended for ages that he couldnt follow their instructions. Then he left the phone on the desk and went out with his mate for a drink, lol.

Ring up trading standards and give them the phone number Val.
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-11-11, 23:03.

Comment

its the same phone number on the forum I found Heather, so they must use it all the time ??? But I am going to get hold of The Telephone preference service and get calls blocked.

Comment

just wondering how they knew my phone number ?? she asked for me by name ?

Comment

in case anybody needs to contact The TPS here is the link

Comment

TPS do not block calls, they have your name removed from all telephone sales listings and can not controll calls from out of this country.
                          They will only work if people report the phonecalls which is easy to do on line, I always report any calls that do slip through and the company gets a warning and are made to remove your name from their listings.
                          I always tell the caller I am with the TPS and I will be reporting them and then I do so.

Even if they cant do anything about the call they will be made aware of how many calls are being made this way if you report it.

I have very few calls that are from this type of caller and I never give out my telephone number if asked to on line and if the page insists I give one then I give a wrong one.
                          I protect my phone and my address from all junk whatever it is so if I gat a call then I am immediately suspicious and put the phone down.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                          X