Voting age in 1700's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting age in 1700's

Am I right in thinking that a man had to be 21 to vote in 1768? I have found a book listing the votes in an election in Leicester, which mentions one of my rellies, but previous records had suggested he was born in 1749, so would have been only 19. However he was married in 1767. with no mention on the parish record of him being a minor, so the other record could be a couple of years out.

Also, did a man have to be a landowner or have a profession to have the vote in those days?

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Back in 1768 voting depended on your status within the country. ie Gentleman/Church/Landowner/gentry/University and some people had more than one vote. No humble Ag Labs! That had to wait until the 1832 Reform Bill giving your average man more Universal Suffrage. However even that Bill was very limited.

It was 1971 when the vote was given to those of 18+

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 05-11-11, 12:53.

Comment

Thanks Janet - wonder what he did! I do know that within a couple of years he joined the Army, and eventually fought in the wars of Independence in America, where he was captured and eventually returned as a prisoner of war.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Deep pockets would also help as a voting qualification in those days.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It was 1970 for the 18 year old vote. I know that as I married in 1970 and my mother was peeved I didnt need her permission AND we bought a house. Neither of those things could be done under 21 before then, so it must be 1970?

Comment

Working...
          X