Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO problems getting certificates

Hi everyone,
    During the last few weeks I have been trying to further my research on my tree by finding and sending for birth/death certs from the Gro.
    unfortunately the last three requests have been refunded with the explanation this person could not be found at this ref.
    With the help of the forum these refs have been checked and we are all coming up with the original ones I applied with, I have been in touch with Gro by phone and they say they will re check as sometimes the wrong ref is given but I find it strange that I would make a mistake 3 times has anyone else come across this prob
    Ann

I haven't had that problem but someone else on here said they had and it was suggested that they contacted the local Register Office with the details - not the GRO ref from the index - and asked them to check their records.
    It seems the system is that local register entries are transcribed and sent to GRO who give the index number so I guess there is scope for error - but 3 seesm a bit excessive!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      I haven't had that problem but someone else on here said they had and it was suggested that they contacted the local Register Office with the details - not the GRO ref from the index - and asked them to check their records.
      It seems the system is that local register entries are transcribed and sent to GRO who give the index number so I guess there is scope for error - but 3 seesm a bit excessive!

Margaret
      Thank you Margaret
      You helped me before and you actually found me two of the ref,s I was looking for so I am mystifed as to why they can,t find the person for me I will try the local RO but as you say for three to fail seems strange
      Ann

Comment

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but are you sure that you selected the correct event (for instance!). As Margaret says, three refusals does seem unusual.

OC

Comment

It's all too easy to put something inaccurate in with a moment's inattention. My usual would be to transpose characters, so that 213 became 123, say, or 312 - or something similar with letters. In another case, I managed to put an incorrect Quarter in for the date.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Forgive me for stating the obvious, but are you sure that you selected the correct event (for instance!). As Margaret says, three refusals does seem unusual.

OC
            Yes I have checked this one was for a death and two for a births I will check yet again tho before I contact the local RO,s

Comment

Local Reg Office won't use the GRO ref, their indexing is competely different, what they will ask for is as much as you can tell them;

Name, district (some counties are now archived centrally), year, date (or quarter), plus any details such as parents etc. The more you can tell them the better but in a lot of cases the local registrars are pretty good at chasing down records if some details are a bit hazy.

Our ref library has some useful pages relating to local office issued certificates.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Have you checked whether the one you need is amongst the local ROs which do online BMD cert applications?

This page (http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd) is a good place to look.

Sometimes their indexes have extra details that the GRO index doesn't have.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X