Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have access to Reading, Berks parish records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have access to Reading, Berks parish records?

I have a Timothy East born in Reading on 26 August 1783 (according to a newspaper report later in his life and the 1861 census).
    On his second marriage certificate he says his father is William East. Timothy was quite a famous Congregational Minister and died on 21 February 1871 (according to Probate and a number of newspaper reports.)

Does anyone have access to any baptism records for that period, please?

Anne

If he was a Congregationalist minister, it's odds-on that his parents were Congregationalists too, so you'd need to be looking in the non-conformist records. But I expect you'd worked that out already!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

findmypast has some burials for reading, but there isn't a william east. i couldnt find any christenings for berkshire on fmp either.

Comment

No sign of him at St Laurence, Reading.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks folks! I thought it would be difficult with the Congregationalist connections. Funny thing is Timothy's son became a C of E vicar in Newcastle on Tyne, so I was hoping Timothy's parents might not be non-con.

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 04-11-11, 13:58.

Comment

In 1851 he was aged 64 at the N P manse in East Kilpatrick, Milngavie, Stirlingshire, a visitor to the McNaughton family and described as Clergyman, U P Church, unattached. The head of family Janet McNaughton could well be a minister's widow.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, UJ. I do have a large amount about him ..... just nothing about his parents!!!

Anne

Comment

No Timothy East baptism in any of the 3 Reading parishes St Laurence, St Mary or St Giles. No marriage for a William East either at any of those places. I'm sure you will have seen his portrait in the National Portrait Gallery:

by William Thomas Fry, after Unknown artist stipple engraving mid 19th century © National Portrait Gallery, London

The Eureka Partnership have several little booklets of Congregational records in Reading and further afield in Berkshire:

Anne

Comment

Thank you very much for looking for me!
                  Yes I have seen his portrait. He looks very kind
                  I'll look into those Congregational records, thank you for spotting them for me.

Anne

Comment

I looked at the EurekA Partnership transcription of
                    Broad Street, Reading, Congregational Church
                    and
                    Reading and district Congregationalists
                    and didn't find anything. The latter has several churches' transcribed records, but only one of those churches had records in the 1783 time frame.

Comment

Thank you very much for looking! I do have a friend who can get to the SoG and was hoping she could look at those transcriptions but she is not well just at the moment so I'm having to be patient. However it looks a though it might remain a mystery!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                      X