Step Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step Grandfather

I know he was called William Doe.....I know he married my Granny [Sarah Rose Louise Swan/ Nottage]at Great Dunmow Essex I think June 1929.

My Mother seemed to think he originated from North Hill area of Colchester Essex.

He passed away 1938.

Not knowing much more about him I don't know where/how to move on.

Can anyone advice how to proceed here please.

Thankyou

PS Granny is the girl on my profile picture
    Last edited by Jonsbird1; 03-11-11, 02:51. Reason: added more information

FreeBMD has the marriage of William Dow to Sarah Swan, 4th qtr, 1928, Braintree District, Essex. If you order the cert, it will have the names of both of their fathers.

Also has death of two William Dow in Braintree
    - 4th qtr 1938, age 44 - he's probably your man
    - 3rd qtr 1939, age 81
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 03-11-11, 05:00.

Comment

And the birth of William John Dow, Orsett district, 2nd qtr, 1893

But, you really need his marriage cert - or parish register - to confirm his father, then census for 1901 & 1911.

Someone here may be able to find the parish reg info.

Comment

I think this will be the one in 1901 census who's birth was registered in Orsett

DOW, John Head Married M 32 1869 General Labourer St Lawrence Kent
        DOW, Emily Wife Married F 30 1871 Creeksea Essex
        DOW, Edith Daughter Single F 10 1891 Canning Town Essex
        DOW, Joseph Son Single M 8 1893 Canning Town Essex
        DOW, William Son Single M 7 1894 Gray's Essex
        DOW, May Daughter Single F 4 1897 Ilford Essex
        DOW, Charlotte Daughter Single F 2 1899 Ilford Essex

Piece:1648 Folio:5 Page:2 Registration District:Romford

Address:
        5, Mill R C, Ilford County:
        Essex

There is another William born around the same time but he's shown as born Romford.

Margaret
        Last edited by margaretmarch; 03-11-11, 08:02.

Comment

It's occurred to me that this may have been a second marriage for one or both, in which case, the second death may be your man? More details are needed!

Comment

Going by your garndmothers birth in 1899 I would guess the 44 year olds death was him.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The closest birth in Essex for the death aged 44 seems to be April-June 1894 William Dow - Newmarket 3b 525

\oops - just realised that Newmarket isn't Essex - sorry
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-11-11, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                The closest birth in Essex for the death aged 44 seems to be April-June 1894 William Dow - Newmarket 3b 525

\oops - just realised that Newmarket isn't Essex - sorry
                I think the one you found for Orsett was the best fit, although if there was talk of him being born near Colchester then the Newmarket one might be a better bet as it is just outside the Essex boundary.

Margaret

Comment

I'm getting a bit confused here. The only birth for Sarah Rose L Nottage is in 1899 in Epping, so I assume that is grandmother?
                  The nearest marriage to a Swan I can find is Sarah L Nottage to Aubrey Swan in 1917 in Dunmow.
                  They appear to have had children in Braintree from 1918 to 1928, but the only death I can find is an Aubrey L Swan in 1923 in Braintree aged 44.

What details i.e. Year, place etc of death do you have please Jonsbird for your grandmother, grandfather etc?

Comment

I'm getting a bit confused here. The only birth for Sarah Rose L Nottage is in 1899 in Epping, so I assume that is grandmother?
                    The nearest marriage to a Swan I can find is Sarah L Nottage to Aubrey Swan in 1917 in Dunmow.
                    They appear to have had children in Braintree from 1918 to 1928, but the only death I can find is an Aubrey L Swan in 1923 in Braintree aged 44.

What details i.e. Year, place etc of death do you have please Jonsbird for your grandmother, grandfather etc?
                    That looks right Chrissie - why are you confused? I hope it wasn't my nonsensical posts which I have now deleted?
                    Margaret

Comment

No Margaret, nothing to do with your posts. It's the fact that with her first husband Swan, Sarah appears to have had children until 1928 but I can't find a death for Aubrey around that time (only 1923). Also, if the 1929 marriage is correct, why only Sarah and not even a second name and where is her death?

Comment

No Margaret, nothing to do with your posts. It's the fact that with her first husband Swan, Sarah appears to have had children until 1928 but I can't find a death for Aubrey around that time (only 1923). Also, if the 1929 marriage is correct, why only Sarah and not even a second name and where is her death?
                        Perhaps some of the later children were by William because they couldn't marry?
                        Margaret

Comment

I think this must be Sarah's death
                          Braintree 1968 Q4 vol 4a p432 DOW Sarah aged 69
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My word you lovely people don't let the grass grow under your feet do you. Thankyou sooo much. My brain went blank as William Dow was my Mothers step father...a nasty one at that if all she told me is true. I was up in the small hours when sleep wouldn't come.

Granny was born in Epping, and Grandfather was Aubrey Lilley Swan. My Mother was their only child. Granny died tragically in a road accident on my Mothers 50th birthday 29/11/1968. A very sad evening, I remember it so well.

William Dow was Granny's second husband, who apparently died the year I was born.1938. I do know they had 5 children together, Charles, Frank, Patience, Violet and A. Several of the children were born before that marriage.

The Colchester connection is from my Mother who seems to have been awfully muddled as to who she would be taken to visit as a child. She has a stroke by the time I got to ask serious questions tho so a red herring I feel as far as family go.

I will order the marriage certificate now I know which was to proceed.Thankyou all for helping me. I fear I know so little about this game I can never repay your kindness.

Regards jonsbird.
                            Last edited by Jonsbird1; 06-11-11, 18:44. Reason: Correct death year for Granny's death

Comment

Yes JudithM. Granny died on her eldest child's 50th Birthday. She was crossing the road in the dark holding her walking stick in the air expecting the fast traffic to allow her to cross.

November 29th 1968 age 69. I remember it well. I had the job of breaking the news to my Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                Perhaps some of the later children were by William because they couldn't marry?
                                Margaret
                                Granny was free but I don't know now about William? It may be he had a previous marriage. Curiouser and curiouser

Comment

If you decide to look for the other births Jonsbird, you will find that F.... (1924) C...... (1926) and V..... R (1928) - all born Braintree - are listed as S... with mothers maiden name as N....... I can't find a birth for P....... and the only birth I can find for an A..... is A..... W D.. with mmn also as N...... in 1934 in Dunmow.

I think you are probably right and that William may have been married before. Perhaps his wife died just before he married your grandmother.
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-11-11, 20:54.

Comment

Are we sure all of these people are dead, as if not we really shouldn't have their details posted here should we?
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Good point Judith - I have amended my post.

Comment

I will order the marriage certificate now I know which was to proceed.Thankyou all for helping me. I fear I know so little about this game I can never repay your kindness.
                                        I hope you know to order direct from the GRO (or local register office) and not via agents. You end up paying an arm and a leg for an agent to do what you can do for yourself very easily!

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X