Heres another conundrum :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres another conundrum :)

Just trawling through my tree for old quests and I remembered Ive never found my GGM's death. Her name was Ellen Cheal (nee Foalster), born Brentford December 1851. Married to my GGF, George Robert Cheal in 1872.

My GGF died in 1932 and I know he had been a widow for a long time. My father remembered as a child that his Grandfather was shunted around the various daughters (there were 12!!!) and eventually he lived in a seamans mission as he got a bit loopy, bless.

Ellen is on the 1911 so alive then in Rotherhithe but clearly dead some time before 1932. Im blowed if I can find her. There is an Ellen A Cheal dying 1918 in Lewisham, but this is a relative, not my Ellen.

Anyone please?

What about a Ellen Cheal bc 1846, died 1926 in Godstone, Surrey - I know, a bit out on date of birth.

Can you tell me which county Rotherhithe is in please?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi, I saw that one thank you, but Im pretty sure that isnt her. Apart from the age being out quite a bit , the family lived and died in Rotherhithe area and secondly I dont think 6 years before GGF went would be right as dad referred to it as a very long time and was one of the reasons he would never live with us because of poor old GGF being shunted around after a few years in each house. There are a lot of Cheals in south Surrey - they originate from Sussex, so it does get very Cheal heavy in that area.

Oh sorry, RotherhithE/Bermondsey is the dockland area of London.

Comment

Yes, I had my doubts - back to search.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

What about Eleanor Cheal died Mar Qtr 1915 in St Olave. Southwark aged 60? The age is a few years out but the registration district seems right (same district as George R. in 1932). Maybe the informant confused Ellen with Eleanor and just guessed at her age?

Kirsty

Comment

Originally posted by MyAinFolk View Post
            What about Eleanor Cheal died Mar Qtr 1915 in St Olave. Southwark aged 60? The age is a few years out but the registration district seems right (same district as George R. in 1932). Maybe the informant confused Ellen with Eleanor and just guessed at her age?

Kirsty
            I wondered about that too.
            Also - I have quite a few Ellens that are called Helen - did your relative ever go by the name Helen?
            herky

Comment

I've seen Hel(l)en & Ellen & Eleanor (with various spellings) used almost interchangeably.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by MyAinFolk View Post

Kirsty
                Kirsty, thats a real posibility isnt it. She was baptised Ellen and kept that name throughout all census and marriage/baptisms for her kids. I cant find an Eleanor Cheal in census except one Sarah E with right age nearby, but as this one is actually in St Olaves I may have to shell out for the certificate. It may be a friend or one of the kids wanted to make the name sound a bit posher? Many thanks. xx

I do worry how I dont seem to have the eyes or concentration I had when I started all this 7 years ago :(

Comment

some names are interchangeable, like janet and jessie in scotland. at least ellen/helen come from eleanor. i have no idea what janet and jessie have in common lol. but i wouldnt rule out eleanor's.

Comment

Hmm, I just noticed that they married in a Congregational Church - I wonder if that could be a help for the burial.

Comment

Working...
                    X