The Thornleys of hadfield and Glossup late 1770s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thornleys of hadfield and Glossup late 1770s

Good afternoon one and all!!! My first post so please be patient!!

I am seeking some advice or assistance in identifying Thornley ancestors from the Hadfield/Glossup area from around the 1770s. To clarify where I have reached at the moment:

I have the marriage certificate of Ann Thornley (possibly bapt 14/9/1828 Quarnford Staffs (which is 2.9 miles from Edge Hill and 8 miles from Leek which probably corresponds with census returns)) and Thomas Clegg (possibly bapt 18/6/1826 St Peter's Bolton-le Moor). They definitely married 10/1/1856 at Walton on the Hill Lancaster. Annes sister Fanny is recorded as a witness. Thomas's Father is recorded as William Clegg (Shoemaker) and Annes father is Thomas Thornely(confectioner).

LDS IGI I know is a little hit and miss but I reckon some of Anns siblings include:

Fanny Thornley (recorded on marriage certificate) and possibly bapt 26/12/1819 St James Manchester
    Holehouse Thornley (male) possibly bapt 19/9/1823 St James Manchester.

I believe their parents were:

Thomas Thornley possibly b 7/8/1785 bapt 4/9/1785 Glossup
    Ann Holehouse possibly bapt 23/6/1793 Darley Dale (Father William Holehouse and mother Ellen Gill possibly m 1/6/1793 Darley Dale. The Holehouses are my next target!!)

Thomas and Ann I believe married 26/12/1818 in Darley Dale probably moving to manchester shortly after.

To cut to the nub of my problem

I know that the Father of Thomas Thornley was one John Thornley (his mother is possibly Mary Garlick?) who, along with his brother Robert owned a number of mills in the Hadfierld/Glossup area in the late 1770s. They were quite well to do and i had hoped it would be easy to identify them on the LDS IGI but it isnt!!

I am trying to eastablish who were the parents of John and Robert Thornley and hoped that as they were so prominent in Derbyshire that someone from Hadfield/Glossup on this Forum might have some information on them.

It is reputed that John built a new Methodist Chapel in Hadfield in 1804 after experiencing a fright in a thunderstorm and haing made a promise to his wife!! I think it's now been replaced in the late 1800s by an even bigger and better chapel?In 1780 John owned Bridge End Fulling Mill on Glossup Brook. With his brother Robert they owned the Valehouse Mil near hadfield. Other hadfield Mills with a possible John Thornely link include Coombs Mill c 1811. Holehouse Mill c 1811 (hence family connection?) and Thornley Mill c 1820.

Any help or assistance in identifying John and Roberts Thornley's lineage gratefully received!!
    Last edited by blue dragoon; 02-11-11, 14:57.

sorry for the condensed nature of the post..the edit function doesn't appear to be working for me.

Comment

Hi and welcome to FTF
      sorry i cant help you sort out the Thornley family but have you tried rooting thru this site;-

also Glossop library seem to have a lot of information according to their website

it may be worth you giving them a ring or an email.
      good luck in your searching.
      Angelina

Comment

this site may also be useful
        Last edited by angelina; 02-11-11, 15:36. Reason: typo
        Angelina

Comment

this link takes you to the methodist chapel built by John Thornley in 1804!!!!!Seems he owned Valehouse Cotton mill as you already know.
          Angelina

Comment

Very many thanks Angelina...some very useful links there. Much appreciated

Comment

I realise that it is some time since you posted this but I have been researching the Gill and Holehouse families from Darley dale both of whom appear in my tree.
              My ancestor is Mary Gill ,who was Ellen's sister, and Rachel Holehouse who was William's sister. I have information on their families should you be interested.
              It was obviously a relatively small community and of course you may already have covered this!

Ruth

Comment

Working...
              X