Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Granddad

Hello

Hopefully I have added a photo of my Granddad taken 1948/1949 but there are black marks down the
    middle of the photo. Is it possible for anyone to erase these for me?

Thank you in advance.

If you could recan this photo at 300dpi and in colour even if its B/W you will get a much better restore its only 72 dpi at the moment.
    This is best i can do at the moment.
    Alan

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Thank you Alan I am surprised I scanned it at 600. I will rescan as you said and see if it is better

Comment

Originally posted by alan 128 View Post
        If you could recan this photo at 300dpi and in colour even if its B/W you will get a much better restore its only 72 dpi at the moment.
        This is best i can do at the moment.
        Alan
        Originally posted by dahaniuk View Post
        Thank you Alan I am surprised I scanned it at 600. I will rescan as you said and see if it is better
        I could be that you don't have your Photobucket set at the maximum file size option.

You need it to be set at 1 Megabyte to avoid too much compression
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Rachel is this any better?

Comment

Well ..... it's a larger file size but still shows as having a resolution of 72 and is still pixellated :(

It doesn't look very sharp anyway so there's not much to be done with it really. There's a weird texture on it.
            As Alan says, scanning in colour mode does capture more information.

The essential rules are

Always scan in colour mode
            Scan at 300 - 600
            Make sure the scale is at 100% minimum
            Set your Photobucket file size option to 1 MB
            Do not use any kind of filter/enhancement

If you scan at the preferred 300 dpi, then increase the scale but keep an eye on the file size and don't go mad.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thank you Rachel

This photo is printed on paper rather than photo paper it might even be a photo copy it is not very clear.

How do I make sure the scale is at 100% minimum.

Thank you for your help

Comment

Aha
                If it's some kind of photocopy then I'd say we're dooooomed !

Can't tell you where to look for the scale on your scanner but here's a screenshot of the scanner settings I used recently for a small B/W pic of my own.

Comment

Hello Rachel and Alan

I have rescanned this 600 dpi and in colour. My scanner is new so I am still trying to understand it.

Rachel your scanner has more settings than mine, mine is quite simple.

If this is still not 600 dpi maybe I am doing something wrong in photobucket could you
                  tell me where I change the settings as I did it the other day and now cannot find it.

It seems to appear sideways even though I changed it.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hello Rachel and Alan

I have rescanned this 600 dpi and in colour. My scanner is new so I am still trying to understand it.

Rachel your scanner has more settings than mine, mine is quite simple.
                    If this is still not 600 dpi maybe I am doing something wrong in photobucket could you
                    tell me where I change the settings as I did it the other day and now cannot find it.

It seems to appear sideways even though I changed it.

Thank you for your help.
                    This is what my computer says

This is a good file size and the pic, I fear, will not get any clearer because of the way it's printed, or the paper it's printed on.

To check/alter your PBucket file size

(1) Hover over your name and click 'Account Settings'

(2) Click 'Album Settings'

(3) Click 'View uploads options'

This will appear

This is the setting you want (1 MB)
                    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 04-11-11, 08:49.

Comment

Hello Rachel

Thank you for this information I have just checked photobucket and the settings are as you have above.

I cannot understand why it is scanning at 72 dpi it doesn't go lower than 75 although I do change it to 600 dpi

Thank you for your help.

Jill

Comment

Hello Rachel

Thank you for this information I have just checked photobucket and the settings are as you have above.

I cannot understand why it is scanning at 72 dpi it doesn't go lower than 75 although I do change it to 600 dpi

Thank you for your help.

Jill
                        I wonder if my computer's telling porkies ?
                        Will ask my OH for an explanation

Comment

Thank you Rachel this is very strange although my scanner is new we have had previous ones and I have one in work
                          so I am not a novice.

Comment

Rachel my computer is showing the same as yours.Loked at other photos i have restored and dpi does change so i am thinking 72dpi is correct.
                            Alan

ALAN

Comment

Originally posted by alan 128 View Post
                              Rachel my computer is showing the same as yours.Loked at other photos i have restored and dpi does change so i am thinking 72dpi is correct.
                              Alan
                              Hmmmmm .... so do you think PBucket's messing around with it ?

Comment

It does seem strange and you do wonder, this is the second photo where someone has put up a photo and it shows 72dpi but was scanned at 300dpi in the last week, perhaps Jill could download it directly to Rootschat.com/ photograph restoration
                                then we could check what size it says when we copy it from there.It might show up if there is a problem
                                Alan

ALAN

Comment

On the other hand, it could be this website

Comment

a restore from me

Niksmum

Comment

Thank you Nicks Mum I am also a Nicks Mum

Jill

Comment

had a play
                                        Regards Roy

Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

Disclaimer:Benig distalgeesic ayn seplling mitsakes or incorrcet garmmar is puerly conicidnetal nad ni no way reflcets teh inetlligecne of teh authro.

Comment

Working...
                                        X