catholic ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catholic ancestors

i have been searcing for over a year for marriage and burial details of my fathers family,i have gone back to the 1700s on my mothers side of the family,but have drawn a complete blank on my fathers (catholic) side.Ihave found my father ,John Walter Thompson born 1917 and his siblings Mary, Vincent ,and Lawrence on ancestry,both birth and deaths but nothing for my grandmother Mary Thompsom nee Leahy and grandfather James Thompson.Mary Leahy was born in county Cork and lived in Dublin at one time,she was married at one time to James Fitzpatrick but had no children,she died in the late fifties early sixties aged around 89,my grandfather died several years later in his 90s.I have heard that catholic marriages and burials are registered differenly from others and went to Sheffield Archives and still drew a blank. any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ,thank you

do you have your fathers Birth Cert at all? does this not give any clues
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by ireland View Post
      i have been searcing for over a year for marriage and burial details of my fathers family,i have gone back to the 1700s on my mothers side of the family,but have drawn a complete blank on my fathers (catholic) side.Ihave found my father ,John Walter Thompson born 1917 and his siblings Mary, Vincent ,and Lawrence on ancestry,both birth and deaths but nothing for my grandmother Mary Thompsom nee Leahy and grandfather James Thompson.Mary Leahy was born in county Cork and lived in Dublin at one time,she was married at one time to James Fitzpatrick but had no children,she died in the late fifties early sixties aged around 89,my grandfather died several years later in his 90s.I have heard that catholic marriages and burials are registered differenly from others and went to Sheffield Archives and still drew a blank. any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ,thank you
      Welcome to FTF.
      Are you saying these deaths occurred in Ireland? If so they should be covered by civil registration regardless of religion. What years are you thinking of?

Very little of Irish records are online just yet but they are slowly coming through so it could just be that the records are there yet for you to see rather than not there at all.
      Margaret

Comment

Oct/Nov/Dec 1915 Dublin South. On the same page is a James Thompson & Mary Leahy/Mary Fitzpatrick.Link so you can see for yourself.
        http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=0&db=fsirelandcivregmarriage&ti=5538& f14=736 &f3=Dec&f1=101263&f6=1915 &f7=Dublin+South &f13=2

Moggie

Comment

catholic deaths

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Welcome to FTF.
          Are you saying these deaths occurred in Ireland? If so they should be covered by civil registration regardless of religion. What years are you thinking of?

Very little of Irish records are online just yet but they are slowly coming through so it could just be that the records are there yet for you to see rather than not there at all.
          Margaret
          hi margaret thanks for your prompt reply.Sorry i should have said my grand parents died in rotherham s yorks.]

Comment

hi moggie,well you have gone further in a few hours than i have in over ayear,thank you so much . i think i may be able to trace my fathers family from this link. I have been on ancestry several times so i cant think how i have missed this link ,unless i have to go to a higher status on ancestry to view this do you think?

Comment

i do have his birth cert but cannot find any clues

Comment

How about this one
                James Thompson
                Birth Date: 20 Jan 1877
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1972
                Age at Death: 95
                Registration district: Rotherham Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
                Volume: 2c Page: 1953

Comment

Was your grandmother married to James Fitzpatrick after her marriage to your grandfather or before? Just trying to wrk out what name she would have head when she died.
                  Margaret

Comment

hi margaret,you are wonderful,all this time and hours of fruitless frustrating searching. I am almost certain this would have been my grandfather as he died in Rotherham and he was in his nineties,too much of a coincidence for it not to be.Iwill be able to send for his birth cert as i never knew of his place of birth,and whether he too was irish.My father always said that he and my grandmother met during the war and i wrongly thought they had met in england after she came over from Ireland.Grandfather was in the Connaught Rangers during the war so he was probably over in Ireland,what for i cant imagine,unless there was trouble over there at that time.My grandmother was married to j fitzpatrick first and died as Thompson in Rotherham,on my fathers birth cert she was down as Mary Thompson formally Leahy,no mention of Fitzpatrick many thanks again Margaret : Marie

Comment

ireland,

have you found your grandparents in the 1901 or 1911 census?

Comment

hi margaret,you are wonderful,all this time and hours of fruitless frustrating searching. I am almost certain this would have been my grandfather as he died in Rotherham and he was in his nineties,too much of a coincidence for it not to be.Iwill be able to send for his birth cert as i never knew of his place of birth,and whether he too was irish.My father always said that he and my grandmother met during the war and i wrongly thought they had met in england after she came over from Ireland.Grandfather was in the Connaught Rangers during the war so he was probably over in Ireland,what for i cant imagine,unless there was trouble over there at that time.My grandmother was married to j fitzpatrick first and died as Thompson in Rotherham,on my fathers birth cert she was down as Mary Thompson formally Leahy,no mention of Fitzpatrick many thanks again Margaret : Marie
                        The date of birth noted on a death certificate is information given by the person reporting the death and may not be accurate. You need to send for the death certificate first and see who is named as the 'informant' and also see where they say the deceased was born - but this may not be accurate as they may not have known for sure and simply guessed.
                        Once you have the death certificate you could perhaps tell us the details and we can advise/help further.

Margaret

Comment

This looks like it could be Mary's death
                          Mary Thompson
                          Birth Date: abt 1874
                          Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1959
                          Age at Death: 85
                          Volume: 2c Page: 883

Might be useful to get this certificate if you haven't already.

I can't see a likely marriage for James and Mary yet and presume it would have been around 1917 just before the first child was born.

have you tried tracing the military records of James? sometimes that has marriage details on it if the man was in service when the marriage took place or if he applied to have some of his wages sent to a wife.
                          Margaret
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 02-11-11, 06:59.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            This looks like it could be Mary's death
                            Mary Thompson
                            Birth Date: abt 1874
                            Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1959
                            Age at Death: 85
                            Volume: 2c Page: 883

Might be useful to get this certificate if you haven't already.

I can't see a likely marriage for James and Mary yet and presume it would have been around 1917 just before the first child was born.

have you tried tracing the military records of James? sometimes that has marriage details on it if the man was in service when the marriage took place or if he applied to have some of his wages sent to a wife.
                            Margaret
                            Hi Margaret
                            I think I may have found the marriage in 1915. See my post #4
                            If the death you have found is the right one she would have been 50 when their last child was born.

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                              Hi Margaret
                              I think I may have found the marriage in 1915. See my post #4
                              If the death you have found is the right one she would have been 50 when their last child was born.

Moggie
                              A bit unusual but not impossible I suppose as women did have children between 45 -50 at one time I think. I was just concentrating on what was said in the first post which indicated a death in the late 1950s and Rotherham seemed to be the place where they lived.
                              Margaret

Comment

james and mary thompson

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                ireland,

have you found your grandparents in the 1901 or 1911 census?
                                i havent been able to use the census as i have no idea where my grandfather was born ,it was said to be Durham but not certain and there are many many James Thompsons bern in Durham ,i will try again now i have date of birth and soon will have his birth cert.He was married before he married my grandmother and in an article in a Rotherham newspaper The Star ,along with his photo celebrating his 92nd birthday, it said he had brought 13 chilsdren up.He and my grand mother only had four one of which died at birth,so he had nine children with his first wife.This would explain why Mary was getting on in years and would have been 40 when my dad was born

Comment

catholic ancestors

I will go on ancestry and look for my g fathers army records to see if there are any clues marie

Comment

i havent been able to use the census as i have no idea where my grandfather was born ,it was said to be Durham but not certain and there are many many James Thompsons bern in Durham ,i will try again now i have date of birth and soon will have his birth cert.He was married before he married my grandmother and in an article in a Rotherham newspaper The Star ,along with his photo celebrating his 92nd birthday, it said he had brought 13 chilsdren up.He and my grand mother only had four one of which died at birth,so he had nine children with his first wife.This would explain why Mary was getting on in years and would have been 40 when my dad was born
                                    How will you get his birth certificate if you don't know where he was born?
                                    I think you need to get the marriage certificate found earlier to see who his father was and his occupation then maybe find him on a census using that as a check. The death cert may very well help with a place of birth if the person who registered the death knew for sure.
                                    Margaret

Comment

Did the newspaper article say what his job had been at all?

There are several James Thompson families in the 1911 census with 4 or more children which I think is what his situation would have been given that he married Mary in 1915 and than had 4 more children. If we had a clue as to his occupation we could narrow it down.
                                      Margaret

Comment

I agree with Margaret that you need to get the marriage certificate first. Then when you know his father's name you can start looking for him in the census.
                                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X