Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reuben Bore (b. 1895 - West Derby/Liverpool) mystery - WW1 deserter

Hi,

I've reached an impasse in my hunt to find out what happened to a boy called Reuben Bore. He was my great-grandfather's brother. He was born in Liverpool in 1895, parents were William Henry Budworth Bore (b. 1852 in Walton-on-the-Hill) and Sarah Gates (b. 1862 in London). I have him at home in the 1901 census, aged 5, but on the 1911 census he is listed at being a Sto.2 (Stoker 2nd Class) at Devonport naval base. He has given a false DOB (1892) to join up (in 1910), which was shown on the service record I managed to source. He remained in the Navy for the next 4 years, serving on HMS Sapphire and HMS Exmouth, with one or two absences resulting in detention. In September 1914 however, just after war broke out, he left his posting on HMS Exmouth - the service record states 'Ran', which I understand is the Naval term for desertion. He is listed on the WW1 medal roll index, with 'F' in the remarks column, which I take to mean he forfeited his awards due to his desertion.

After his desertion, there are no further records of him - no marriage, no death etc. I've learned that deserters often changed their names to avoid being caught, and with a name like Reuben Bore I would guess that would have been particularly necessary! I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to find out what happened to him? As the census records are not available at the time I can't see if he's living with any family members under a different name. I don't hold out much hope for tracing him further, but it's been fascinating following the trail so far!

Jenny

A change of name certainly but take your pick. As an outside chance he may have taken mothers maiden name or other relation. It must be difficult to find a hiding place and a close friend or relation would be very useful. Good Luck with your quest.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice. I tried mothers maiden name (Gates) but no luck, and one or two close family names. I'll keep plodding along with it, but just found it to be a fascinating story!

Thanks again.

Jenny

Comment

Is there any mention of him in the London Gazette? Did he have a middle name? Would he be mentioned in a will? Could he have lived with a sibling? Maybe got to another country?
        Last edited by naomiatt; 02-11-11, 03:13.

Comment

Are there any children born with Reuben Bore as father.
          When Alan Carr was on who do you think you are - his relative deserted about 1915, moved to a different part of the country and used a false name but he used his real name when registering his children's births.
          The researchers said at that time the police would have checked census and Electoral records to try and find a deserter but it would have been too difficult to check birth registrations.
          During some research I did -I found someone who had used a false name - the name he used was of someone who had lodged at his family home. Are there any lodgers with your relatives?

Comment

I have a similar problem in OH's tree - but rather earlier. I don't think I'll find him now - and not sure how necessary it will be, either... OH's ancestor was baptised some time after he "ran" and subsequent info suggests that there wouldn't have been much chance for him to have fathered her, however much he may be named in baptism and birth records as her father.

You'd have to be very brazen/brave/idiotic to run from your ship and then return to your family in a major naval town!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X