My Ancestors hate me.... Elizabeth Gosling / Hammond / Bendall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Ancestors hate me.... Elizabeth Gosling / Hammond / Bendall

Hi Everyone, I am really having some trouble with this ancestor of mine. Elizabeth Gosling was born abt 1845. She married a man with the surname Hammond. I cannot find any record of their marriage. On 1st August 1893 she married Major Bendall. She was a widow at this time. She was born in Little Holland Essex. Father John Gosling and Mother Elizabeth Gosling.

This family is really testing my patience. It's like they just vanished.

I'm not that experienced in Family History, but know enough, but not enough to know where to go from here.

I've looked up Ancestry, Free BDM and endless searches.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in another direction.

I appreciate your assistance.

Helen in Australia
    Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert
    Australia, Essex, Little Holland, Clacton on Sea, Romford

just so we dont end up doing the same old searches, do you have elizabeth on ANY census, if so, which and what name occ was she using please, and where did she marry this major? :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ok I have found Elizabeth GOSSLING with parents THOMAS & ELIZABETH at little holland, in 1861, except she was born in 1852 is this family connected to you?

Julie

Comment

I've spotted the marriage to Major Bendall in Hackney, Q3 1893. on FreeBMD and an image of the marriage on Ancestry LMA records - ELizabeth claimed to be 42 when married which would mean she was born about 1851, father's name John Gosling, deceased.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That sounds about right Julie as she was 42 on the marriage cert -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Darksecretz, no this is not my Elizabeth. Will send other information shortly.
            Helen from Australia

Researching Gosling, Hindmarsh, Jones, Norris, McDonald, Dunn, Spencer, Smith, Spengler, Grosert

Comment

That looks like the right one in 1861 Julie as Edward is with them in 1901 -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Yes, this is her.
                Helen from Australia

Comment

Her parents John and Elizabeth were in Little Holland in 1851 with children Mary Ann aged 9, John aged 4 and William aged 2 so an 1851/52 birth year looks more likely than 1845. I think this is e the same family that Julie found in 1861. Find My Past has the father's name transcribed as John.

Comment

There's a possible marriage Q1 1876 St George Hanover Square district 1a 631. Groom William Thomas Hammond or Robert Watts

Comment

I think this is e the same family that Julie found in 1861. Find My Past has the father's name transcribed as John.
                      no, the family I found in 1861 has the fathers name as Thos.. and is clearly that on the image.. :(
                      Julie

Comment

If that IS her marriage then this may be the death her first husband.
                        Q1 1881 Shoreditch 1c 83 HAMMOND William Thomas aged 28

Comment

Hi Chrissie

I have had a look at your link and yes this would be them. Where I am getting stuck, I can't find this information. Am I not looking in the correct sites. I use Ancestry for my tree and do my searching from there.
                          Helen from Australia

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                            There's a possible marriage Q1 1876 St George Hanover Square district 1a 631. Groom William Thomas Hammond or Robert Watts
                            Judith is this marriage in the LMA records do you know?

Helen,

which package type have you got for Ancestry? I know that if its the basic package then you won't get the london LMA records, I think you need the premium for those.
                            Julie

Comment

being in saint george hanover julie, i dont think ancestry would have it.

Comment

Hi Everyone

I have the Annual UK Heritage Package. I would get the World one but I just can't afford it. I do log in to Ancestry.com.au, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Is it best to do my searching from FTM or should I go direct to the Ancestry Site?

Julie, I did see the entry with Thos as the father and I do think that is them. Unfortunately there were a lot of Goslings in Essex and they all called their children the same names. I get so stressed trying to trace them. It is my mothers family and she never knew anything about her family so asked me to do this a few years ago so she knew where she came from, so I am determined to find them.

I'm having trouble even tracing the grandparents brothers and sisters. It's like they just vanished. I think they were a very poor family and could have ended up anywhere.

I really appreciate everyones assistance. Sometimes the obvious can be staring at us and we don't see it.

Kind regards
                                Helen
                                Helen from Australia

Comment

Working...
                                X