Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Titanic part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Behind the scenes of Find My Past the TV show: Titanic part 2

Tim Rickeard was one of the participants in Titanic, the second episode of Find My Past the TV show. Read our exclusive interview with Tim as he tells us what it was like to appear on the show.
    FMP: What was the most surprising or emotional moment for you?

Tim: Reading the personal narrative by eye-witness Joseph Scarrott of the rescue of my great-uncle Harold Phillimore. It made me realise how lucky he was to be one of the four people rescued by lifeboat 14, which was the only lifeboat to go back to search for those in the water. The description of how he was rescued was quite harrowing.
    FMP: How has being involved in the programme affected you or your life?
    Tim: It has given me the motivation to find out about the rest of my family history. I met with my uncle Leslie who has been researching family history for over 10 years. He was able to give me a fascinating insight into our relatives’ social history. I discovered a rich naval and maritime past. My great grandfathers sailed in the Fastnet race and on board the first British yacht to challenge the America’s cup.
    FMP: Are you proud of your ancestor’s role in this historical event?
    Tim: Yes, I’m very proud that Harold survived and that he went on to continue a successful career as a first class steward serving, among others, the Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII).
    FMP: Do you feel you’ve got to know your ancestor better?
    Tim: It was fascinating to get an insight into the life on board for a steward and to see a picture of my relative.
    FMP: If you could meet your ancestor, face to face, what question would you ask them?
    Tim: How he felt going back to sea after the disaster onto the Titanic’s sister ship, the Olympic.
    FMP: How did you find out you were going to be in a TV programme about your family history? What was your reaction?
    Tim: A letter through the post. Initially, I wondered if it was a scam but then I was intrigued to find out who in my family history was of interest.
    FMP: Has it sunk in that your ancestor was involved in such a momentous point in history?
    Tim: Both of my grandfathers and their families worked on cruise ships so it is not totally surprising that one of the family was on the Titanic. It was a real surprise to find out how my ancestor was rescued, however, and that he was probably the last person to be rescued two hours after the Titanic sank.
    Read more about the Titanic episode
    Find out more about Find My Past the TV show

More...

Please note: This post has originated from a news feed from an external website.
    Family Tree Forum neither endorses nor is responsible for the views of the author or any other content.
Working...
X