Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A nightmare, William James Jones c 1874 Liverpool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nightmare, William James Jones c 1874 Liverpool.

[/I]I'm trying to help a cousin research her Family and on the basis of 'Start with what you know' I can only get back to 1901 Census with any sort of confidence. I have his Marriage Cert in Liverpool June 1898 to a Sarah Sutton. His father is also William Jones a Carter as is the groom. The Groom's age is 24 yrs.
    What I would like to find is his Birth Cert but this is proving to be a nightmare and could well be expensive once I order from GRO.
    I'm sure other Researchers have had this problem and I would appreciate their advice.

Which one do you think is him in 1901 Alan? I see there are a few possibles married to Sarah.
    Have you got the link please? Or what is his occupation?

p.s. Is it the quay! carter? Whatever that is!! Ahh I realise now - a Carter on the quay.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 31-10-11, 10:06.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Also, could we have Sarah's age and father name and occupation on the marriage cert please?

Comment

Hi Chrissie, I think the Quay Carter would be working the Dock Areas. Sarah Sutton is 21 a Spinster whilst her father is John Sutton a Labourer. My cousin gave me the name of Sarah Sutton.

Comment

So is this them in 1901 please?

Comment

Yes, that's the one I'm working on.

Comment

Could you tell us please the names of the witnesses? They might give us a clue.

I have found a couple of possibles for William in the other census but not Sarah yet.

Comment

Can we assume that your cousin has got back to William and Sarah from one of their childrens birth certs Alan?

Comment

Hi
                  What were the addresses for William & Sarah on the marriage cert?
                  Moggie

Comment

So sorry Chrissie & Moggie; we had a power failure locally and only just back on line.
                    The Witnesses are a Charles Hawkins & Ann Jane May but my cousin doesnt recognise their names. Well, she wouldnt being born and raised in S.A. and never lived in UK. Like a lot of us, she didnt ask too many questions when she was younger and now it's too late.
                    The Addresses are "9 North St" for William and Northampton Place for Sarah.

Comment

My cousins mother born 1914 Liverpool (still living but only just mentally aware) is Alice Jones. From her birth Cert; Father- William Jones a Carter. Bride Alice formerly Sutton mother S Jones of 7 Marlborough St.

Comment

Hi
                        They were living at that address in 1911.If you download the transcript or the original image you should find out where William & Sarah were born.
                        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                          My cousins mother born 1914 Liverpool (still living but only just mentally aware) is Alice Jones. From her birth Cert; Father- William Jones a Carter. Bride Alice formerly Sutton mother S Jones of 7 Marlborough St.
                          i take it alice jones is the daughter of william jones a carter and sarah sutton married 1898? not of an alice sutton?

Comment

How about this one
                            Baptism Liverpool St Peter,18th Oct 1874, born 3rd Aug 1873 William James Alfred Jones, parents William & Mary Emma. Hornby Street. Father's occupation carter.

Moggie

Comment

Moggie, Thanks for your time ; I have printed the 1911 transcript and they are both born Liverpool. I doubted the Baptism you indicate because of the 3rd christian name and only William James on his marriage certificate but when you play with the "Jones's".....you get a headache.
                              Kyle, Your assumption is correct.

Comment

Don't discount the baptism just because he didn't use the Alfred on his marriage cert.People changed their names, reversed their names ,just to confuse us.I have traced William senior throughout the census & he always appears as a carter.They also had a daughter Florence born about 1892.
                                Moggie

Comment

Thanks again for your time Moggie, I'll gamble with a Birth Certificate.

Comment

Working...
                                  X