Dissenting Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissenting Minister

On a 1870 Marriage Certificate the Grooms occupation is that of "Dissenting Minister." Presumably he isnt paid and I wonder how long his principals prevailed since he couldnt 'sign on'

Dissenting minister means he was a minister in a non conformist church rather than the established Church of England. He probably was paid, by the congregation of the church he served: though I doubt whether he would have been well off they probably provided a house and basic expenses.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

One line I followed had a dissenting minister.. it would appear that education was important as down the line there were chancellors or whatever of Birmingham University and others wrote books on technical subjects... sadly a death certificate proved that they were not my Wood family

Comment

Explanation

Edna

Comment

You may need to look in different places for dissenter's records. The Genealogist has many

Comment

There are many noncon records on the IGI but possibly not quite as late as 1870.

OC

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                Thank you all for your input.
                I have a 'dissenting minister' in my ancestors and I found details about him from Dr Williams Library in London where they have lots of records about the Methodist movement. If your ancestor was Methodist you might try there.
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X