Turner family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner family

I am searching for the whereabouts of the family of James Turner.
    Documents I have point to his having been born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire in around 1869. His father is shown as also being called James, occupation Excavator and deceased prior to 1891.

Young James is thought to have had a brother, who may have immigrated to Australia with James and his young family, the brother may have disembarked in Brisbane. They communicated for awhile and then lost contact.

James married Rachel Barber in Kingston-on-Thames in 1891. The family moved slowly on up towards Norfolk, where James is shown in 1901 as "Miner, retired due to accident". He apparently worked in the Blackwall Tunnel and sustained injuries. In Topcroft, Norfolk; James worked as a farm labourer. Rachel grew up in this area.

Two of James and Rachels children apparently told other family members that he had been disowned for marrying Rachel, this may have been over money or religion.

In 1907, James and Rachel immigrated to Sydney, Australia; where they lived for several months, before finally settling in New Zealand.

I have travelled to Cheltenham and joined the Gloucestershire Family History Society but so far have drawn a blank. I am researching from New Zealand and am sure it would be easier if I was "over there".

Is there anyone out there who may be wondering "whatever happened to Uncle Jim"? ( I found a photo where he had written "from Jim and Rae" on the back)

Cheers!

There are 3 possibles for a James Turner b Cheltenham c 1869.
    One in 1867 and two in 1870 - one a James Turner and the other a James Charles Turner.

Edit no luck with 1871 census.
    Last edited by herky; 29-10-11, 21:49.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Cathy.

I hope you'll take the time to do some exploring here: there is quite a lot of support material of one kind or another - not least the Reference Library.

If you haven't already found it, this site might be useful to you?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Herky, I have found those, none seem to fit, wrong father etc. And James Charles, I think I found that he had married someone else so can't have been mine.

Christine, I have been on that site, no joy. But I will have alook at the reference library and go back through old forums about Turners.

Cathy

Comment

It might be worth going back to the Gloucs site from time to time. It's not complete yet (looking at the coverage page), so they will be adding in records from time to time.

If any of your family is from the Forest of Dean area, then it would be worth joining this site: http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X