Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery of Daisy Jane Dickson Strickland

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with the mystery of Daisy Jane Dickson Strickland.
    I'll start off with the history of her parents. Please bear with me for the long story - its a bit of a challenge, so will understand if no one wants to respond!
    One thing I need to mention is that the surname was sometimes spelt STICKLAND, and sometimes STRICKLAND (though in later years it stayed as STRICKLAND)

Thomas James STICKLAND was born at High Littleton in Somerset in 1855.
    Later on he moved to Co Durham and married there.

Marriages Dec 1878 Free bmd

STICKLAND Thomas James Durham 10a 423
    WILKINSON Mary Ann Durham 10a 423

Here they are in the following census:-

1881 census

STRICKLAND, Thomas James Head Married M 26 1855 Railway Signalman Local
    Methodist Preacher

STRICKLAND, Mary Ann Wife Married F 30 1851 Helmington Row Durham

Piece:
    4925 Folio:
    80Page:
    82 Registration District:
    Auckland

Civil Parish:
    Hunwick and HelmingtonMunicipal Borough:
    Address:
    Hunwick Station, Hunwick And Helmington
    County: Durham

-------------
    In 1891 Thomas James was living and working away from home.

1891 census

STRICKLAND, Mary A Head Married F 39 1852 Seamstress Darlington Durham
    Piece: 4043
    Folio: 138
    Page: 56
    Registration District:
    Darlington

Civil Parish: Darlington
    Municipal Borough: Darlington
    Address:
    11, Regent Street, Darlington

1891 Census

STRICKLAND, Thos J Head Married M 35 1856 Station Master N E R
    High Littleton Somersetshire

Piece: 4269
    Folio: 58
    Page: 4
    Registration District: Berwick

Civil Parish:
    Ancroft Municipal Borough:
    Address: Wind Mill Hill, Cheswick, Ancroft, Windmill Hill
    County: Northumberland

----------------

1901 census

STRICKLAND, Thos J Head Married M 46 1855 Signalman N E Rly High Littleton Somersetshire
    STRICKLAND, Mary Ann Wife Married F 50 1851 Samybone Durham (should be Sunny Brow)
    STRICKLAND, Daisy J Daughter Single F 13 1888 High Littleton Somersetshire

Piece: 4570
    Folio: 59
    Page:52
    Registration District: Guisbrough

Civil Parish:
    Redcar Municipal Borough:
    Address:
    10, West Dyke Road, Redcar
    County: Yorkshire (North riding)

As you can see in the 1901 census, they have suddenly got a 13 yr old daughter, Daisy, who was born in High Littleton, Somerset - Thomas birth town.

Thomas died
    Deaths Sep 1903
    STRICKLAND Thomas James 48 Guisbro' 9d 320
    ---------------
    1911 census - On the 1911 census image, it says that Mary Ann had one child born alive, one died, and none living.

STRICKLAND, Mary Ann Head Widow F 60 1851 Durham Sunny Brow

RG number:
    RG14 Piece:
    29749 Reference:
    RG14PN29749 RG78PN1721 RD547 SD1 ED47 SN262

Registration District:
    Auckland Sub District:
    Bishop Auckland Enumeration District:
    47 Parish:
    East Thickley

Address:
    19 Thickley Terrace New Shildon Court Durham

So from the above entry, it suggested that Daisy the daughter had died.

HOWEVER,

I found Daisy's marriage entry.

Marriages Dec 1908

STRICKLAND Daisy Jane D Auckland 10a 322
    VICKERS Frederick William Auckland 10a 322

From that, I found Daisy and Frederick on the 1911 census

VICKERS, Fredrick William Head Married M 25 1886 Furnaceman Forge Co Durham New Shildon

VICKERS, Daisy Jane Dickson Wife Married 2 years F 23 1888 Co Somerset High Littleton

VICKERS, Ena Daughter F 1 1910 Co Durham New Shildon

RG number:
    RG14 Piece:
    29748 Reference:
    RG14PN29748 RG78PN1721 RD547 SD1 ED46 SN330

Registration District:
    Auckland Sub District:
    Bishop Auckland Enumeration District:
    46 Parish:
    East Thickley

Address:
    11 Thomas St New Shildon
    --------------------------------------

From the above census, I now know that Daisy's full name is Daisy Jane Dickson (STICKLAND/STRICKLAND) VICKERS, and that she was born in High Littleton, Somerset, the same as her "Dad"

So why can't I find her birth registration? I've done every variation of Strickland etc, done a general search of England, done a Christian name only search and Phonetic search surnames. Looked in Somerset and Co Durham for her, as well as the whole of England.
    Then just as I was about to give up, I put her middle name of DICKSON into the surname search and did a Phonetic search on it.

This entry came up:-

Births Dec 1887
    Dixon Daisy Jane Clutton 5c5_7

Clutton is the registration district for High Littleton where Daisy was born.

I then went to the High Littleton website which has baptisms on and found this.

Baptism at High Littleton,
    1887 Nov 23 Daisy Jane (P.B.) (b. Aug 2 '87) d Margaret Ann DIXON New Road, Farmborough

Farmborough is 2 miles from High Littleton, and people from Farmborough often used High Littleton Church for baptisms etc.

Finally, I will come to my point!

Do you think that Daisy Jane DIXON is "my" Daisy Jane Dickson Strickland?

If so, the only thing I can think of is that Thomas James and Mary Ann Strickland/Stickland adopted her in later life - she only appeared with them as a 13 yr old on the 1901 census. (I know that she could have been living with them between the census's)

I've looked for Daisy Jane's mother, Margaret Ann DIXON on the census, looked to see if she married, or died and can't find anything about her.

Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts about this please?

It looks very much as if you have found your Daisy Jane's baptism.
    Have you found her in 1891 census?

A Margaret Ann DICKSON died in 1905, out of her home area though. Her age might fit her being a young mother.
    There are several marriages in that name.
    Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 28-10-11, 19:30.

Comment

Hi Gwyn,
      Thanks for confirming my thoughts that it is Daisy's baptism. Also thanks for the death entry for a Margaret Ann DICKSON - Its a possibilty - she could have moved to the North East to be near to Daisy. I haven't found Margaret or Daisy in the 1881 or 1891 census, though I'm still looking.

Comment

Jan,

do you think that one of Thomas' sisters could be the mother?? and they took daisy in? if they did adopt/foster her then its more likely that she was a family member.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Darksecretz,
          Yes, I think you are probably right about one of Thomas sister's being the mother of Daisy - or some other closely connected family member.
          I had been thinking that there must be some family connection somewhere along the line, to have adopted someone from Somerset and taken them to live all the way to Co Durham. I'm starting to investigate all of Thomas's sisters to see if there is a connection. There's got to be a link somewhere.
          Last edited by Jan B; 29-10-11, 13:16.

Comment

Yep, i'd think so too, or like you say a close family member, just seems odd that she is born in the same village as her 'father' is too, for her not to be connected to the family in some way....
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just a passing thought. The geographical connection between Somerset and Co. Durham might just be coal. Or perhaps not.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Uncle John,
                Yes, I agree with you that they went to Co Durham to find work in the coal mines. Thomas went to Co Durham with 2 of his brothers who were coal miners. Thomas was lucky in that he found other work than in the mines - he started working for the railways when he got to Co Durham.

Comment

Would it be a good idea to get the cert.??

Births Dec 1887 (>99%)
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixon Daisy Jane Clutton 5c 5_7

Nicky

Comment

Hi Nicky,
                    I have thought about buying the certificate, but its not my main line - just a sideline. I had hoped that I could have solved the mystery without the expense of the birth certificate - though I might end up buying it just to solve the mystery!

Comment

do you have the cert for thomas' marriage? mary anne may have been a widow? could her maiden name have been dixon, and she took in a niece?

there is also a long shot lol maybe mary anne is her step mother? i saw an episode of NCIS once, where a girl was living with her remarried step mother......long shot and complicated i know, but the connection is not always obvious!

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,
                        No, I haven't got Thomas and Mary Ann's marriage certificate. I do know that Mary Ann's maiden name was WILKINSON, so don't think she took in a niece.
                        That's an interesting thought about maybe Mary Ann might have been her step mother who was remarried - though I'm not sure about that, as Mary Ann was born in Co Durham, and Daisy was born in Somerset. Still working on it!

Comment

i know it's far fetched, but anything in this game is possible!

Comment

Have you considered getting the marriage certificate of Daisy Jane D Strickland and Frederick William Vickers? It's possible it might include some clues such as describing Thomas as her adoptive father or something similar.

Kirsty

Comment

Hi Kirsty,
                              Hmm, that's a good idea that I hadn't considered. Though you have given me another idea to try first. I think I will go to the Record Office to see if I can find the marriage in the parish registers - if I can find that, it would save me money on buying the certificate.
                              Last edited by Jan B; 04-11-11, 22:39.

Comment

Hi...I have her on ships manifest 1912 with Frederick Vickers and Ena Vickers (my grandmother)...odd that he married mary langstone 1908 (I have a marriage lic copy) SS Celtic Liverpool to newyork. I cant find any info on her. do you have a copy of their marriage?...she my have stayed in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin View Post
                                  Hi...I have her on ships manifest 1912 with Frederick Vickers and Ena Vickers (my grandmother)...odd that he married mary langstone 1908 (I have a marriage lic copy) SS Celtic Liverpool to newyork. I cant find any info on her. do you have a copy of their marriage?...she my have stayed in the US?
                                  Hi Kmartin,
                                  So Daisy is your Great Grandmother then? I'm afraid that I decided not to do any more research on Daisy, as she is a "twiglet" on my tree, and only seems to be related through adoption. Her adopted Father, Thomas Strickland was my Great Uncle. I didn't get Daisy's marriage certificate - I only found out her marriage through Freebmd site, as below:-

Marriages Dec 1908

STRICKLAND Daisy Jane D Auckland 10a 322
                                  VICKERS Frederick William Auckland 10a 322

It's interesting that you found them on a ships manifest going to New York. You mentioned a Mary
                                  Langstone - do you mean that Frederick Vickers married Mary Langstone in 1908?

Comment

Daisy

Hi Jan... Frederick Vickers is may great grandfather, Ena was may grandmother. Daisy as his wife on the ship manifest was something I stumbled upon as Frederick Vickers married mary langstone 1908 (I have that cert) I have been tring to find out who she is also that's how I stumble upon your forum....next I will search Canadian immigration and see what I can find...she is listed on the ship SS Celtic 1912 Liverpool to new York as his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin View Post
                                      Hi Jan... Frederick Vickers is may great grandfather, Ena was may grandmother. Daisy as his wife on the ship manifest was something I stumbled upon as Frederick Vickers married mary langstone 1908 (I have that cert) I have been tring to find out who she is also that's how I stumble upon your forum....next I will search Canadian immigration and see what I can find...she is listed on the ship SS Celtic 1912 Liverpool to new York as his wife.
                                      Hi Kmartin,
                                      I've just been doing some research about the marriage you found, and I've discovered that there were two Frederick William Vickers got married in 1908.
                                      This is the marriage of the Frederick who married Mary Langstone.

From Freebmd Marriages Mar 1908
                                      LANGSTONE Mary Margaret Abingdon 2c 431
                                      VICKERS Frederick William Abingdon 2c 431

Abingdon is in Berkshire.

I tried to find Frederick and Mary in the 1911 census, but didn't find them.

So it suggests that Daisy Jane Dixon Strickland is your great grandmother, do you think?

Let me know how you get on with your searches please -- I'm interested in finding out if Daisy stayed in the USA.
                                      Last edited by Jan B; 31-01-16, 11:21.

Comment

I'm curious, father Mr Hamilton is given as the contact, have you followed anything up?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                        Last edited by Elaine; 03-02-16, 20:46.
                                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X