confirming dats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confirming dats

When I first started, did not understand importance of support documents, so built tree based on what had and census records. Now with more knowledge have started to go back and confirm what I have, more by luck than judgement so far majority has turned out to be correct as far as can see (based on cirts now) but there is 1 that’s a puzzle for me.
    My grt grandfather was James Clark and its his father having problems with, there is a marriage cirt for him on Ancestry, but the given father is not name I expected and there is no occupation given for him, says he is dead. There has been more than 1 marriage cirt have that fathers name is not correct. How do I go about confirming data, there are a fair few Clarks in Southwark area who could fit, have tried getting likely births but its getting a bit expensive, any thoughts on how to narrow it down would be appreciated. Before started confirming data, this bit was one was confident had right, the marriage cirt was a surprise.

Just a thought. If it's a London marriage, is the register image among the LMA marriages on Ancestry? That would include witness signatures which could be added confirmation that you've got the right one.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Mike,
      I think it might help if you could give us some names, dates and places of birth of what you are sure of, e.g. the details for your great grandfather James Clark.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        Just a thought. If it's a London marriage, is the register image among the LMA marriages on Ancestry? That would include witness signatures which could be added confirmation that you've got the right one.
        Yes it is and the witness shown are who would expect as is the brides father, thats what gave me a re-think on what have.

Elaine, will try and put together what have in a logical way, any help is wonderful.

Comment

Marriage of James Clark
          Saint John The Evangelist, Lambeth, Register of marriages, P85/JNA3, Item 071
          1881 census
          Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 528; Folio: 66; Page: 26; GSU roll: 1341119.
          1891 census
          Class: RG12; Piece: 348; Folio 54; Page 44; GSU roll: 6095458.
          1901 census
          Class: RG13; Piece: 367; Folio: 160; Page: 73.
          That’s what am 100% (based on cirts and address as know it from own knowledge) sure of and this is who I thought were his parents.
          1871 census
          Class: RG10; Piece: 593; Folio: 4; Page: 1; GSU roll: 824902.

Comment

Mike

Just a general observation about sources - census information is not considered a primary source as it was collected under duress and has been copied several times before you get to read it, thus leaving the way open for many errors.

OC

Comment

Mike, do you have a death for James Clark - just wondered if it included a middle name at all which might help?
              Elaine

Comment

Just another thought.
                Do you have the birth certificate of any of James & Fanny's children which would confirm MMN of Berry - just to make sure you have found the right marriage.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Just another thought.
                  Do you have the birth certificate of any of James & Fanny's children which would confirm MMN of Berry - just to make sure you have found the right marriage.
                  Yes for most of children, pretty sure death was in 1901 (have sent for cirt to confirm)

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Mike

Just a general observation about sources - census information is not considered a primary source as it was collected under duress and has been copied several times before you get to read it, thus leaving the way open for many errors.

OC
                    Sadly thats a lesson I learnt after had started, read it in all the books but still ignored it, thats reason started to go back to beginning and try and do it correctly.
                    When I started thought knew more than I did, a lesson learnt.

Comment

Trying to disprove this one as James' family
                      1871 census
                      Class: RG10; Piece: 593; Folio: 4; Page: 1; GSU roll: 824902.

The James Clark listed in the 1871 census is shown as born 1848 Lambeth and has an occupation of printer.

This could be the same James Clark in 1881, with wife Harriett - James' occupation bag printer - born 1848 Lambeth

RG11; Piece: 554; Folio: 130; Page: 8

Same family in 1891 - James listed as James K Clarke but if you look at the image and compare the letter K with others on the page, I think it is probably R rather than K - so James R Clarke. Occupation still printer.
                      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG12; Piece: 349; Folio 71; Page 17

and if we go back with your 1871 family to the 1861 census - we seem to have Robert J Clark born c1848 Lambeth.
                      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG9; Piece: 312; Folio: 101; Page: 2

- so I wonder if this one was actually Robert James, or James Roberts.

Seeing as I think I can trace the James in the 1871 census both forwards and backwards, then I don't believe it matches your James Clark.

... but I can't find an alternative at the moment - going back to have another look.
                      Elaine

Comment

Looking at this one

1851 census

HO107; Piece: 1565; Folio: 23; Page: 39
                        - shows a James Clark born 1842 Southwark with father William.
                        Am working on the principle that James was a bit older than his wife Fanny and therefore knocked a few years off his age!!! (Can but try!!!)

Can't find all the family in 1861 - a couple of the children are lodgers
                        Ellen Clark & Catherine Clark

RG9; Piece: 783; Folio: 6; Page: 5;

- really need to find the rest of family to see if we can locate James, even if it's just to eliminate this lot!
                        Elaine

Comment

Really struggling with this. Can't seem to find James from the 1851 census in post #12 - even if it's just to eliminate him.
                          Elaine

Comment

Will spend this evening having a look at what you have kindly found to see if it fits in.

Comment

Think I have now found the 1851 family (post #12) in the 1871 and 1881.
                              Head of household William was still alive in 1881 so unlikely to be your family.

RG10; Piece: 615; Folio: 82; Page: 21

RG11
                              ; Piece: 297; Folio: 65; Page: 46

Back to the drawing board!
                              Elaine

Comment

Working...
                              X