Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Alice

I just realized that I've never located my g'g'aunt in the 1881 census:

Alice Coverly MITCHELL, b 31 Jul 1877 in Honiton is not with her parents (William & Jane) in Bristol for the 1881 census. Can anyone find her?

Thanks!

Just had a quick look and can't see her - no death record either.

Do you have other family members located where she might have been 'fostered'?
    Margaret

PS can you give the link/ref for the 1881 for parents?

Comment

cannot find her either sorry

Comment

I've tried all combinations of spelling and all Alices of the same birth year without surname and just can't find her at all. Also struggling though to find William and Jane her parents !!

Sorry I couldn't be of any help as you have helped me in the past .

Liz
        my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Sorry - no luck from me.
          Do you have her later in life?
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Liz in 1881 the Father is down as Dr Coverly Mitchell RG11 2473 96 8

Comment

Sorry - only missing her in the 1881 census. Family immigrated to the US in 1885.

Father is listed as deCoverley Mitchell in the 1881, born London, Middlesex in 1834 (he'll show as 1835. She's only 4ish in the '81 census, it seems odd she's not listed with the rest of the family!

It says R.G. 11/2473? Civil parish - St Paul; Ecclesiastical St Barnabas. All the rest of the family that should be there, is there.

Comment

Could Alice have been fostered but not the rest of the children? I had assumed she was visiting neighbors or family.

And yes, she died much later in the US

Comment

Perhaps it was just an error and she was missed out, or the enumerator missed her out.
                  At her young age you would have expected her to be close by. Very strange!
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

is there any possibility that she was with her G/parents? from either side
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, that's what makes this so interesting! I don't know William's parents (or his siblings, if any) with any certainty. Sometimes these dangling threads lead to useful info.

She's not with her maternal g'parents, nor have I spotted her with any of her maternal aunts or uncles, tho I've only checked two. Her maternal aunt, Sarah Hector Fey was living in Bristol, tho I don't think any others were.

The Hectors are documented in several family trees.

Comment

hmm have you had a look on www.familysearch.org photo? sorry sounds awful, sorry, but it'd be nice if we had a name.. other than Photofamily.. I have been abit occupied with my thread and looking for my mystery kin!
                        Julie

Comment

I've used ancestry's & familysearch's 1881 censuses - didn't find anything. She didn't have a nickname that I'm aware of, but that family did use them (e.g., Caroline was also Kittie)

Sarah :o

Comment

ooh blinky flip !! seems like we have another enigma on our hands!! (and hello Sarah! welcome to our family) she has to be somehwere though doesnt she?

i did notice that there were quite a few de coverleys in middlesex/london area.. are these connected? where are you? stateside?
                            Julie

Comment

Yes, stateside. I can't connect William to his parents with certainty (there are several old threads about William and his probable siblings and parents). I despair whether I will ever prove the link. The US-side doesn't seem to have anything more to offer (altho, the church archivist has not searched (won't?) for records), and his probable baptism was probably 8 yrs after his birth - and there's no birthdate on the record.

I just looked at 1881 census in FMP. I looked at many but not all Alice Mitchells born 1877 and 1878. One was a niece, living with a Palmer family in .... uh.... Marylbone? but she wasn't born in Devon.

Comment

I have tried lots of different combinations Sarah, but, I can't see her :(
                                Julie

Comment

I think they missed her, or she was staying with someone and gave her that family's surname.

Comment

Working...
                                  X