Grimshaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grimshaw

Hi, I,m trying to research my 2xgreatgrandfather Alexander Grimshaw (1826-1896) who employed over 100 people making gold thread in the miles platting (Albert Mills) area of manchester, any info regarding either Gold thread or the Albert Mills would be helpful, William

Hi William,
    I have moved your thread from our General discussion forum to the Family History Research forum, where hopefully someone will be able to help you.
    Elaine

Comment

Have you seen this site William?
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

You don't give any indication of where you live. Some libraries give you access to online newspaper images - Hertfordshire, for example, gives access to both the Times Digital Archive and the British Library C19 Newspaper Collection.

There are references in the British Library C19 Newspaper Collection to "Alexander Grimshaw", e.g.:

LONDON GAZETTE TUESDAY, Dec. 9 .
        The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Thursday, December 11, 1856; Issue 6571
        i.e. a report in the London Gazette was repeated in the Leeds newspaper - so you should be able get sight of the London Gazette from their online archive. This is actually Alexander Henry GRIMSHAW, according to the London Gazette.
        The same info is also here:
        PARTNERSHIPS DISSOLVED .
        The Bradford Observer (Bradford, England), Thursday, December 18, 1856; pg. 2; Issue 1194. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

But that might be a different one - considering another partnership dissolved, where the business was hair-cutting:
        BILLS OF SALE .
        The Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (West Yorkshire, England), Monday, April 23, 1888; pg. 2; Issue 6466. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

Presumably it was a namesake who misbehaved, as reported in these accounts:
        Blackburn Police News .
        The Blackburn Standard (Blackburn, England), Wednesday, June 22, 1864; Issue 1534. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
        &
        THE GRAND BAZAAR FOR ST. LUKE'S CHURCH .
        The Blackburn Standard and North East Lancashire Advertiser (Blackburn, England), Saturday, October 21, 1876; pg. 8; Issue 2172. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
        &
        TOWN HALL .
        Leicester Chronicle and the Leicestershire Mercury (Leicester, England), Saturday, May 06, 1882; pg. 2; Issue 3712. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II

and a 54-year-old namesake (labourer) was a victim of a hit-&-run accident reported here:
        LOCAL INTELLIGENCE .
        The Blackburn Standard: Darwen Observer, and North-East Lancashire Advertiser (Blackburn, England), Saturday, April 21, 1877; pg. 5; Issue 2171. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

There's a likely-looking marriage announcement here:
        Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
        The Preston Guardian etc (Preston, England), Saturday, August 19, 1871; Issue 3137.

Your man is reported as retiring from the Local Board:
        Local and District .
        Manchester Times (Manchester, England), Saturday, February 24, 1883; Issue 1311.

A memorial stone was laid in the name of "Alexander Grimshaw", in the context of a new school foundation stone setting:
        CHURCH AND CHAPEL NEWS .
        The Blackburn Standard and Weekly Express (Blackburn, England), Saturday, November 24, 1888; Issue 2754. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II
        I think it's your man because there's a ref to Newton Heath - and that ties in the the Local Board - which specifically mentions the gold thread manufacturing.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-10-11, 15:03.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are several mentions in the London Gazette (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search) - but you'd need to check for yourself to see which ones are most likely to be yours and not namesakes.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

TNA Quicksearch (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...ck_search.aspx) gives a whole lot of WW1 medal cards, but also a couple of other refs, which are almost certainly yours yours.
            Letter accepting invitation M68/4/1/64 4 - 30 Aug. 1877

These documents are held at Manchester Archives and Local Studies

Contents:
            Alex. Grimshaw.
            and
            Letter accepting invitation M68/4/2/24 4 Aug. - 9 Sept. 1877

These documents are held at Manchester Archives and Local Studies

Contents:
            Alex. Grimshaw, Chairman of Newton Heath Local Board.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
              http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Alexander_Grimshaw

Have you seen this site William?
              No, But that is Him thank you William

Comment

Hi Christine, I live in Stockport ,and these posts look really helpful thank you, William

Comment

Originally posted by william stuart View Post
                  Hi Christine, I live in Stockport ,and these posts look really helpful thank you, William
                  Thank you for that. It's always pleasing to know that things you've turned up are likely to be useful.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine how do you access the part 11 element of the 19th century british newspapers? I have viewed the other references, William

Comment

Originally posted by william stuart View Post
                      Hi Christine how do you access the part 11 element of the 19th century british newspapers? I have viewed the other references, William
                      When I go onto the site using my library access, the part II set is all part of what's available. I don't know what to suggest if it doesn't come up for you.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X