Irish research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish research

Something I have not had to attempt until recently discovering that 3rd g grandfather was of Irish descent.
    Even though I don't know where in Ireland he came from, where would be the best place/sites to search, and when did Irish census taking first begin?
    He appears on the English 1841 but apart from it stating he came from Ireland and gave his approx. age of birth as about 1798, I was hoping there may be a way of tracing him back to Ireland. OR am I flogging a dead horse?
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

maybe try www.familysearch.org

you might find something there to kick start the research Jen
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Helpful information about Irish census and civil registration:
      Which Irish census records survive? Where are they available? How will they help your search for ancestors in Ireland?

Compulsory civil registration of non-Roman Catholic marriages began on April 1st, 1845. The registration of births, deaths and all marriages commenced on January 1st, 1864.
      Joy

Comment

Many thanks Julie and Joy, I will check it all out.
        Jen

Comment

I think you might be flogging a dead horse as records are so sparse in Ireland with no censuses before 1901 because they were all destroyed in a fire.
          Margaret

Comment

Oh really Margaret.....what a shame....think that solves that problem then! Not much lost as I was at a brick wall with him to begin with only knowing his name, approx. age and place of birth. I have found him on the 1841 census.

Isn't it annoying when that happens though.....finding a new line of another nationality, and not being able to get anywhere with it?
            Jen

Comment

Yes, I have French ancestors that I have loads of snippets about but cannot get back into where they were born or the wider family in France.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                I think you might be flogging a dead horse as records are so sparse in Ireland with no censuses before 1901 because they were all destroyed in a fire.
                Margaret
                well, there are bits of them left here and there according to http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.c...sh-census.html but info is sparse, and there are other records that you can gain info from.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Tracing Irish history and therefore ancestors depends on several important factors which must be known before attempting to trace.

1 Is the Irish name that you are looking for a popular name like O'Neill/Murphy? Popular names will be impossible to find without knowing the area of Ireland in which to look. Even knowing the area will be difficult unless you know the actual townland.

2 Some names like Going and Martley/Markley are much more unusual and can be mapped using Griffiths Valuation.

3 Are these ancestors likely to have been Protestant or Catholic?

4 Remember that 85% were RC

5 If Protestrant the good news is the records can many go back to the 1600's and are kept at the Dublin National Archives but the bad news is that many of these records were the ones that were burnt in the forecourts fires of 1922

6 If RC then the good news is that the RC records were never kept in Dublin but in all the Catholic churches all over Ireland, where they still are with copies in Dublin National Library but the bad news is that RC records only go back to the 1820's with a few getting back to the late 1700's.

Make sure you have checked every single UK census to see if that precious townland has not been written down on one of them. Most of the census I have for one Irish ancestor had Fermoy Co Cork until the 1911 Census which gave me the actual townland.

In answer to your question about census in Ireland as they came under English rule until 1921 they had the same census as us from 1821 onwards but most of these were destroyed for the war effort but some counties like Cork have remnants of other census besides the 1901 and 1911 which are the only surviving total cesus of Ireland. I have been lucky enough to find my Irish ancestors on 1851 and other remnants of Cork Census.

There is more on how to trace Irish Ancestors on FTM and this still very much applies to all Irish Tracing with a few more things added online.

There are some Irish parish registers on Ancestry but be aware there is a serious row going on between Ancestry and the Irish Genealogical Associations as Ancestry appear to have put records on their site without asking permission so we will have to watch that space. Also much of what is on Ancestry is already on Family Search.org. Most of what you will see on both Ancestry and Family Search are mainly post 1864 records ie the state records which started 1864.

The one to watch is FMP.ie which are now getting seriously into Irish Parish records pre 1864 and a whole lot of Cork records have just come online to the point where I will have to seriously consider a subscription as I am getting nowhere with other online sites but have found some tantalising probabilities with the free search part of FMP.ie .

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 26-10-11, 12:51.

Comment

the problem with 'foreign' ancestry is most of the time you have no idea where in those countries people came from. i've been lucky with my australian ancestry, in that our birth certs record where our parents are from, well my state does. my family come from ireland, scotland, england. irish lines i have no luck with whatsoever. the scots i can never get backwards, but can work sideways. best luck i've had is english. i get nowhere on my german ancestry, even though i have learned where in modern poland they come from.

margaretmarch, most french provinces have online indexes for registration after 1792. and most have their parish records prior to that. the earliest french parish records are from the 14th century, roughly half date from the 16th cetury. most frustratingly a lot begin in 1668, the year louis XIV added laws about recording events. and the registers are usually way more informative than english ones!

Comment

Thank you everyone, there's a lot of useful info here and I have been looking at the aforementioned sites, which at first glance, look interesting. I will make a point of looking in on fMP Janet in the future....never know.
                      Unfortunately it is a common Irish name.....FLINN. And as I have only found him on 1841 (suspect he may have died before 1851) - as he was 63 on 1841......and I see his place of birth was merely recorded as Ireland, it is lookng pretty hopeless just now..........so he is another one for the back burner.
                      Jen

Comment

Working...
                      X