Edward COCKSON
    Elizabeth CONLON
    having Banns called
    22 Jul 1827 Islington
    14 Jun 1829 Hackney
    8 Dec 1833 Islington
    15 Dec 1833 Islington
    but cannot find the actual marriage ?

Normally, you'd expect three consecutive (or, at the very least "nearly consecutive") weeks of Banns.

Did they actually marry in the end?
    The last pair look as if there should be a calling either on 1 Dec 1833, or - possibly more likely - 22 Dec. Were they married on Christmas Day? - a common solution to not wanting to lose a day's pay.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine I cant find a Marriage ?? their first child was born in 1830 though ???

Comment

looking at the image on Ancestry the 15th Dec 1833 was the actual marriage date at Islington St Mary. Edward was a bachelor, Elizabeth a spinster. They both signed their names, the marriage was by banns and witnesses Joseph ROBERT and ? STEERS

The 8th Dec reference is of the banns book. Both Edward and Elizabeth were "of this parish." Banns were read on 24th Nov, 1st and 8th Dec 1833
        Last edited by JudithM; 25-10-11, 20:17.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The 1827 entry, again from Islington ST Mary banns book shows banns were read on 8th, 15th and 22nd July but there are crosses either side of the entry, presumably to denote that the marriage did not take place.

The 1829 banns book entry for Hackney St John again shows the banns were read three times, on 31st May, 7th and 14th June. They were both of this parish. Most other entries on the page have a tick in corner and date of marriage. This one does not.
          Perhaps Elizabeth kept getting cold feet, or Edward drank too much at his stag night and didn't turn up :D
          Last edited by JudithM; 25-10-11, 20:26.

Comment

thanks Judith so they got married in 1833 ? just found another child of theirs born in 1828 ?

Comment

Only a 5 year delay after the birth of their child? My gt gt grandparents left it 38 years before they made it up the aisle!

Comment

really ?? why did they bother ?

Comment

A French couple of my acquaintance have only recently tied the knot, having been together for 20-odd years. They did it (partly) to sort out their property inheritance.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

that makes sense Uncle John I know somebody did the same thing.:D

Comment

joy behar on "the view" has lived with her husband for i think 39 years before she married him. she doesn't seem to like the idea of marriage much, maybe one of your couple was the same? maybe they married out of pressure for the kids?

Comment

Working...
                      X