looking for birth/death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for birth/death

I have been looking for the birth of THOMAS BRODERICK born 1840 warrington Lancs (now cheshire) father John Broderick also looking for his death I think was about 1869 Oldham Lancashire wife Harriet.
    As I have not been able to find birth for thomas my fear is he was born Ireland as both parents irish, have looked all the usual places maybe new eyes will pick it out
    Ann

Have you got him in any censuses? The 1851 will give a place of birth.
    Margaret

Comment

Here's a possibility in 1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=23450190
      wife ion this though is Bridget and there's a daughter Mary. They are living in the house of Bernard and Mary Cavanah both born Ireland - possibly wife's parents.
      Margaret

Comment

There's a Matthew Broderick born 1840 and a Peter Broderick born 1843 in Warrington in ancestry BMDs
        Margaret

Comment

Here's a more likely one in 1841 with Thomas age 3 months with parents John and Margaret both born in Ireland but transcribed as Brithwick. In Warrington though and John is a farmer. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5140945
          Margaret

Comment

Possibly same family in 1851 - transcribed as Thomas Bratherick
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Possibly same family in 1851 - transcribed as Thomas Bratherick
              http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...29340&recoff=6
              Thanks Elaine, that looks right.
              Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Here's a more likely one in 1841 with Thomas age 3 months with parents John and Margaret both born in Ireland but transcribed as Brithwick. In Warrington though and John is a farmer. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=5140945
                Margaret
                Yes this is the right thomas but I have had no luck getting birth cert from GRO they searched 1839/41 warrington for me but nothing turned up same with death cert they refunded my money with apologies the above mentioned Peter is his brother

Comment

Could be they just didn't register him. Have you looked for a baptism?

I think if GRO have checked for you it is unlikely we will find it - presumably you gave them the names of mum and dad?
                  Margaret
                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-10-11, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    Could be they just didn't register him. Have you looked for a baptism?

I think if GRO have checked for you it is unlikely we will find it - presumably you gave them the names of mum and dad?
                    Margaret
                    No I haven,t looked for baptism don,t really know where to start with that one, I agree they may not have registered him but seems strange cannot find a death either. His first wife was Bridget but she died and he remarried Harriet she must have registered his death as both parents now gone, this family causes me so many brick walls been looking for his mothers death for 5yrs and never have found a marriage for his parents, which makes me think maybe they married Ireland and there is a chance thomas was born their even though he shown as born Warrington on census what do you think ?

Comment

Quite likely as the enumerators often made mistakes or the family told a little fib!

You could look on www.familysearch.org for a baptism - but if they were Irish could they have been Catholic? The parish records are for C of E generally.

I'll see where else you can search.
                      Margaret

Comment

I am a bit confused. You say that you are looking for his death about 1869 in Oldham. Is this is your Thomas in 1891? -

If so - have you considered this death in Jan-March 1895?
                        Thomas Broderick - born about 1842 - aged 53 - died Oldham, Greater Manchester - ref 8d 550.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I am a bit confused. You say that you are looking for his death about 1869 in Oldham. Is this is your Thomas in 1891? -

Thomas Broderick - born about 1842 - aged 53 - died Oldham, Greater Manchester - ref 8d 550.
                          That looks right Chrissie for the census and no doubt the death, well done!
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret but I'm not too happy as I can't find marriages etc with the right names at the right times. I started to wonder if there were two different Thomas Brodericks' born in Warrington around a similat time frame.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-10-11, 16:42.

Comment

I don't think there's another Thomas for the same timeframe and it looks like he was married to Harriet as a second wife and there are step children in the house so it does look good.
                              Margaret

Comment

Yes it does really Margaret I had to go and do a job in the house but I am back looking for that second marriage. I am trying to tie up all the census too.

Comment

Have you got a marriage reference for Thomas and Harriet please Ann? According to the census their first child was James born probably March 1887 Oldham - ref 8d 593.

Although in 1891 it says Mary E was born Broderick I think she was actually born Heap.

Comment

This was the death details I sent to GRO they replied saying the could not find the record as like yourself I think this is my thomas that is us both confused lol this really a mystery Ann

Comment

Did you put the reference numbers in Ann? You didn't stipulate who the death would have been registered by or anything did you? It could have been anyone of course.

Comment

Have you got a marriage reference for Thomas and Harriet please Ann? According to the census their first child was James born probably March 1887 Oldham - ref 8d 593.

Although in 1891 it says Mary E was born Broderick I think she was actually born Heap.
                                        Hi Chrissie
                                        I have thomas marrying Bridget Howley (b1841 ireland d,1867 Oldham) in 1861 wigan they had children
                                        Mary b 1861 Golbourne
                                        Margaret b 1863 Warrington
                                        Catherine b 865 Warrington

He went on to marry a widow Harriet Heap (b 1852 Ashton) in 1881 Oldham they had children
                                        Thomas (born out of marriage 1874 Oldham)
                                        Mary E b 1881 Oldham
                                        James b 1887 Oldham

Ann

Comment

Working...
                                        X