Odd middle name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd middle name

Why would someone have such an unusual surname?
    John Haywood married Mary Yule 1851 and had
    1854 John Haywood Junior in Edinburgh-off scotlandspeople
    1857 Joseph Haywood born 12 March -off IGI- cant find him later think he died.
    1860 MaryAnn Bailey/baillie Haywood born 28 Dec, mother Mary Yule-off IGI and scotlandspeople
    1861 John Haywood on census with Mary (dont know which one) John son and Mary ann aged 3monthsin Edinburgh
    1861 8 june marriage of John Haywood to Mary Stewart in London - cant find this marriage anywhere.Think he divorced Mary Yule
    1864William Londsbrough Haywood was born in Edinburgh on 25 Dec 1865 to John Haywood a coachman and Mary Stewart his wife married June 1861 London - info off Scotlandspeople.
    1864-1867 John senior and mary stewart and John junior and William travel to India- cant find any emigration records at all
    1867 Walter Haywood Born in India.
    By 1881 William and Walter are back in scotland in Edinburgh but their parents and brother had died out there.(family info)

as you can see the children. apart from William, didnt have unusual middle names.
    Later William Londsbrough Haywood changes his name to William Dennison Haywood - found on his son Harry's military records -its definitely a 'D' and also its in the family stories I was told.and I think one son was given Dennison as middle name.

Have looked up londsbrough+dennison on google and found this

so do you think william was named after this man and if so why?
    Angelina

Might John Haywood have been a domestic coachman and worked for Lord Londesborough, or a member of his extended family?

(The village of Londesborough is in East Yorkshire - the "big" house [Londesborough Hall] is no more although I believe there are sometimes organised walks & talks around the park and remains of the house.)

Jay

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thats a good thought Jay- one i hadnt considered at all. thanks very much. The censuses just say John senior was a coachman so i had assumed he was edinburgh based. maybe he moved to Yorkshire after 1861 before going to India.
      thanks very much again for that idea.
      Angelina

Comment

ETA - it was the ORIGINAL Londesborough Hall which is no more.
        The new house, built in the 1800's, is still standing and the walks through the park visit the ruins of the OLD house.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

off to google it now thanks very much
          Angelina

Comment

On Ancestry BMD there are 5 births listed as first name/middle name Londsbrough 1861 to 1904. All Yorkshire.
            And marriages and banns for West Yorkshire: 3 Londesbrough
            Last edited by keldon; 24-10-11, 13:32.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Jay - had a look on wikipedia and Londesbrough hall and lands look large enough for their own coachman.
              Phil - thanks very much looked at those names on ancestry - none rings a bell as family but am glad to know other people have such an unusal middlename. maybe some patronage going on then?
              Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                maybe some patronage going on then?
                Possibly, or people they just admired. There was thread on here a while ago about ancestors named after famous people. Perhaps they couldn't spell Londesbrough properly.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Phil- Frankly this family seem determined not to be traceable let alone spelling names properly.!!
                  Angelina

Comment

Also the only thing Lord Londesbrough/Denison seems to be famous for is being an MP and chairman of Scarborough Football club
                    Angelina

Comment

Well, the second Lord Londesborough WAS very rich - then had to sell off property just outside York to settle a gambling debt!
                      Also his daughter married a grandson of Queen Victoria.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

This is the death for Joseph on SP - 1857 HEYWOOD JOSEPH YULE M 0 HERIOT AND WARRISTON EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/07 0325

Comment

Woody thank you so much for finding Joseph's death for me thats brilliant as I could never find it. I guessed he had died as he wasnt in the 1861 census. it was very kind of you to use your credits that way for me.
                          Angelina

Comment

Janet thank you too for theinfo on second Lord Londesbrough - I dont think any money came our way though unless he paid for the family to go to India and why would he do that unless there was more than patronage going on??
                            Angelina

Comment

Perhaps the trip to India was to do with the coachman's job? (a bit like taking your driver with you!) Did you say head of the family died in India and the others came back??

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes john senior took mary stewart (wife?) john junior,and william londesborough to india where he was 'the master of horse to the nizam of hyderabad' (family info) then in 1867 he and Mary had Walter Haywood in india. The family story is that the parents died and john junior stayed in secunderabad ( i have a copy of his will) and the two boys william and walter were sent home to edinburgh to cousins(?) I have found them in census in 1881 with John and Elisabeth Stuart at 48 Raeburn Place St Cuthberts Edinburgh ED115 p21 line 23. And i have tracked both William and walter forward so I know what happened to them both.
                                That is how I found William's son Harry's military record which gives his father's names as William D Haywood so thats where the Denison bit comes in. I got the name Denison from family info too and was told it as if it was important. Just 40 years ago I never thought to ask why it was important.....
                                Angelina

Comment

Sounds a fascinating mystery to solve, Angelina.

My "guess" is that John sen was in the employ of someone of some status in the UK and was, perhaps, "poached"to take up work in India. (Not exactly the sort of position to have been advertised in any local rag - if you could read, that is - nor would you pop over to India for interview!)
                                  Have you been able to find out anything about the nizam? I would hope to find some link with the UK, perhaps through the army, a business or a trading or financial company.

Going back to the name change, Londesborough was the title, Den(n)ison the family name. So, it was a Denison (a female) rather than a Londesborough who married into the lesser royal family. If you wanted to claim a link, it would be through a name held in common, perhaps????

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet you made me laugh a lot about John senior being interviewed!!! I think you are right someone got him the job but who and why? Doubt i will ever find out. I cant find the family leaving UK from 1864-1867 or the two boys coming back 1867-1881 (1867 is when Walter was born in india) tried ancestry and FMP but they fall between the two databases.
                                    re the nizam - I have looked him up but cant find any connection to the Haywoods.
                                    re name change - thats interesting about Dennison being family name as thats what William called himself when his son joined the army in WW1 so i fear William knew exactly what what going on and why and I will never find out.
                                    Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                    X