Torrington Devon Death entry look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrington Devon Death entry look up

Is there anyone in the north Devon area willing to look up a death entry for William Bissett in September quarter 1875. Am also needing the confirmation of William's birth in the Torrington area in 1791.

Please can anyone help me get somewhere other than going around in circles!

A hair pulling out Barbara..

Hi< i have looked at the 1871 census and there is a family named Bisset in there from Dolton, Torrington Devon.
    It says:-
    William Bisset born 25th July 1791 in Dolton.
    Married to Ann Bowe.
    Died July 1875.
    The family were:-
    William Bissett Widow and head of household. Retired butcher.
    William Bissett Son aged 50 Butcher.
    Thomas son aged 48
    Elizabeth daughter aged 55.
    You may have already seen this and want more information actually from the record office in Devon
    but i thought i would tell you what i have found.

Regards

Comment

Hi afrylk
      Thanks for the info regarding William Bissett & his family in the 1871 census. Unfortunately although this may be a relation somewhere along the line its not my gt gt gt g/father William Bissett that I am looking for. He was married to Susanna in 1812. The trouble is I can't seem to find him on any census, therefore I can't confirm his date of birth. I think the family lived in Monkleigh (3 miles from Torrington) as I have found 3 siblings to my gt gt g/father Richard Bissett who were baptised in Monkleigh.
      There are so many Bissett's in north Devon that it's difficult to find the correct ones!
      However, I thought if I went along the death registers I may be able to find them. I probably do need someone to actually do a record office search for me to be able to advance further.
      I have found a death entry on the IGI for an Ann Bissett (could be Susanna) at Torrington 1880 aged 82 years and entries on Free Reg for burials for William Bissett at Monkleigh on 30 July 1826 and 26 July 1879 - need this checked out. The 1879 entry is probably more likely.

Hope someone can help.

Barbara

Comment

Hi Barbara,

The best way would be to send for the death cert. for the William Bissett who died in 1879. You could at least eliminate or confirm then! I know the certs. don't come cheap and can be an expensive mistake though sometimes!! If you do decide to buy make sure it is from the GRO at £9.25!

Lesley

Comment

Death Certificates - William Bissett

Hi Lesley

Thanks, I think I will have to get the 1879 Death Certificate, as you say its a matter of elimination at this stage isn't it. Like pulling a lucky (or not) straw. Can't think of any other way to progress when I can't find the correct family on the census. Thought he might be on 1841 census as he would probably only be in his 50's. Devon doesnt seem to have much info online. Still I shall keep trying!!!

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by BDrax View Post
            ... and entries on Free Reg for burials for William Bissett at Monkleigh on 30 July 1826 and 26 July 1879 - need this checked out. The 1879 entry is probably more likely.
            From freeREG - the 1826 burial is for someone aged 76 and the 1879 burial is for a child of 8 days old, so I think you can eliminate both of those!

I wonder if it might be better to move your thread over to the Family History Research forum. This forum is really for specific lookups at particular locations, and until we know exactly what you need it is difficult for anyone to offer to help.

Let me know if you want it moved.
            Elaine

Comment

Torrington has a large catchment area, therefore it would be helpful if you could narrow the area down a little. Monkleigh is a possibility. I think that at the North Devon Records office they have transcribed records for this parish in book form. It may be worth ringing them and seeing if they would do a simple search as this for free.
              If they are unable to help, I may be able to have a look but not for the next few weeks. At the moment I am afraid I don't have the time to do blanket searches for numorous parishes, however if you can narrow down possible parishes I would be willing to have a look in a few weeks time (I am on my hols from Friday, hence inability to do this earlier).
              If you are able to narrow down the information, message me and I will see what I can do.

A link for the tel no of the Local studies library is contained here http://www.devon.gov.uk/barnstaple_library

I also note that there are changes in charges from Nov 1st
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                From freeREG - the 1826 burial is for someone aged 76 and the 1879 burial is for a child of 8 days old, so I think you can eliminate both of those!

I wonder if it might be better to move your thread over to the Family History Research forum. This forum is really for specific lookups at particular locations, and until we know exactly what you need it is difficult for anyone to offer to help.

Let me know if you want it moved.

Thanks for your advice Elaine - I have now found a death entry on Free BMD for a William Bissett in Torrington 1875 aged 84 this is a possibility but I agree with you that it may be better to move this thread. Over to you.

Comment

Hi Bubblebelle
                  Thanks for your offer, sorry I can't be more precise on exact location. I only know that William Bissett was married to Susanna in 1812 in Alverstoke, Hampshire. My gt gt g/f was born in Dorchester in 1813 and William & Susanna went on to have at least 3 further children registered Monkleigh 1816,1818 & 1822. William was in the North Devon Militia when he married and when he was in Dorchester then obviously came back to North Devon. Would you be able to find out anything in the record office about the militia at that time?
                  There is a death entry shown on FreeBMD in Torrington 1875 for a William Bissett aged 84 and I think I may have to get some Certificates if you are not able to search for me.
                  I will get to the bottom of this even if I end up pulling all my hair out... Mind you not so long ago I couldn't find the baptism record in Dorchester even though all census records show that as his place of birth - then I got lucky with the Dorset Online Parish Clerk who was very helpful.

Barbara

Comment

Not sure about the militia Barbara, I would have to ask, although I see from a google search that the National Archive online has some information which is also available at N.Devon records office. They also have some documents which are kept at Torrington museum, which appears only to be open in the summer season. So if you want to get on maybe have a look online if there is anything. Genuki have a list for 1800 but a quick glance does not pick up your man.

As I have previously stated Torrington district covers a wide area and many parishes, so it would be a little like looking for a needle in a haystack unless you can find them in 1871 and Susanna possibly in 1881 census. However you will find more information on a death certificate than I would find in the parish records, if you are lucky it will have birthplace and date of birth and the name of informer often helps identify whether you have the right person. Parish records do not give much information in relation to deaths. So I think if you are pretty certain this is your man then send for it. If he was buried in Monkleigh his death could have either been registered in Torrington or Bideford district.

Anyway as previously stated I am away from tomorrow. Let me know how you get on and if you want me to take a look re the militia.
                    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I thought all the TNA militia records were online on FMP now?

Comment

.... but I agree with you that it may be better to move this thread. Over to you.
                        Moved over to the Family History Research forum. Let's hope someone else can come up with some ideas for you.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          I thought all the TNA militia records were online on FMP now?
                          sorry, being new to research don't know the abbreviations?

Comment

sorry, being new to research don't know the abbreviations?
                            The National Archives - usually refers to Kew.

Find My Past. - the genealogy website covering mainly UK material.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - I should have worked that out!

Barbara

Comment

Thanks Christine - I should have worked that out!

Barbara
                                These things are always obvious... after you've been told the answer! ;)

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X