Essex Police Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex Police Records

On SEAX (Essex Record Office's catalogue) are online images of the first General Force Register listing all the officers. It covers the period 1840-1881. They are arranged by rank and collar number. No index.

I have now indexed all the names and linked them to the relevant SEAX image. Index starts halfway down this page:

There are over 2000 names on the Register. The turnover of staff was quite high in the early years as the force seemed to struggle to find suitable recruits. Some only lasted one day! Many of them were former soldiers born in Scotland and Ireland. This large turnover means that many fall between between census dates and you may be unaware that your ancestor was even in the police force. So it is worth checking the list.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Thanks for your work on this and posting about it here Phil - found my GGGF - William Lingard - an Essex born ex soldier - he lasted 18 months - including the time of the 1851 census - so I was aware of his background - but it has helped clarify his year of birth which varied a bit in later census records

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

Pleased to read it is of help. I never thought it would be helping someone already.
      (Sometimes I feel I suffer from 'physical inefficiency').;)
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

I have now indexed the Essex officers from 1881 to 1910. These, and those from 1841 to 1881 are available on
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X