X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'mem: (memorandum?) there was £5 more given by Christ Hospital'

thats what I make it out to be anyway,
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Julie wonder what that means ?

Comment

I havent a clue Val.. :(
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I think I do. I have an ancestor whose apprenticeship was also paid by Christ's Hospital. It was (and still is) a charitable institution that took in poorer children and gave them an education.

www.christs-hospital.org.uk

I contacted them - the volunteer searched the school's index for my ancestor's entry and exit from the school - I received DOB, mom's and uncle's name, etc. Also found that one of his brothers was his twin.

Very nice.

Comment

how fantastic Photo, wonder then if the records exist for the man they are apprenticed to?

Comment

You mean, the apprenticeship record within the guild? Yes, my ancestor apprenticed to the fishmonger's guild, so I was able to follow it there, but I already had it. British Origins has an index to most London apprenticeships. From it, I went to the guild's records & found the apprenticeship record, and noticed it was paid by CH. It was a few month's before I had sense enough to google "Christ's Hospital"! There's no index to records for Freedom of the Company that I'm aware of, but I searched seven years later, and there it was. Also retrieved a copy of the Freedom of the City, but it shed no more light on ancestry than the previous documents had.

Comment

But is the note about CH's payment in regards to Joseph, or about the next apprentice, John?

It looks like Joseph apprenticed as a Cooper?

And of course, if you can find the apprenticeship record, you'll probably get father's name & occupation.

Anyone have a BO membership?
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-10-11, 16:55.

Comment

Silly me - are you interested in the apprentice or the master? I doubt CH would have more info about the master, but the master had to have apprenticed at some time, so his apprenticeship record may still exist. Same info as above could apply.

Even if the guild record for apprenticeship/freedom of the company doesn't exist, the Freedom of the City record could exist independently, and it, too, would probably list father & his occupation. But I think they only exist at the LMA . . .

Comment

sorry Photo got called away I was interested in a Master Tailor ?

Comment

I'm confused. Your first posting indicated Joseph Gamble? He seems to be a Cooper? On the line, after his name, appears to be "Cit[y] Cooper" followed by the apprentice's name: John, s/o John Williams. Is that not the line in question?

British Origins has an index to many but not all London Guilds. It searches both apprentice and master names. I'm not sure which guilds are not indexed, although I have checked for Weavers: they are not indexed. Fishmongers and Tin Plate Workers are.

Comment

sorry Photo its not any of those names I was just curious as to the Hospital note , mine was Ivy a Master Tailor further down the page, just me being nosey.

Comment

Working...
                        X