Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry everyone, heres another plea for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry everyone, heres another plea for help.

The new line Im tracing - a William Clark Taylor (wood carver) b1794 Kingsland, Hackney, Middx married wife Sarah Rogers b 1791 in Southwark in Islington 1818.

Im trying to find Sarahs parents and there is a bit of a choice unfortunately. In 1861 the family are in St George Southwark, Kent Road district and there is an M A ROGERS
    born 1789 Southwark with them. She is recorded as "sister in law". Now this could mean she is Sarah's sister or I spose the wife of a brother of Sarah?

Im thinking M A is likely Mary Ann - though obviously not proven - but can anyone see this lady in any previous census please?

Relationship details on the census are as they relate to the head of the household - so if that is Sarah's husband then it should be her sister.

The wife of a brother of someone's wife is not technically an 'in law' but should correctly be described as 'brother in law's wife'. I think the way in laws work is that they are the blood relations of your spouse.

All of this pre supposes that people describe the relationship correctly so your theory may well be right that she is the wife of Sarah's brother.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 20-10-11, 09:55.

Comment

The only one I can see is this one http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=16563709 who is the wife of Thomas Rogers !
      Margaret

Comment

1851 census - 9 Russell Place, St. George Southwark Kent Road District

William Clark Taylor age 58 Wood Carver Master birthplace Kingsland, Middx.
        Sarah Taylor age 59 Wife birthplace Southwark, Surrey
        Danl Taylor age 21 Son Wood Carver Joiner birthplace Southwark, Surrey

1841 Census - Russell Place, St George The Martyr Kent Road District
        William Taylor age 48
        Sarah Taylor age 50
        Sarah Taylor age 22
        William Taylor age 21
        Benjamin Taylor age 18
        Eliza Taylor age 14
        Daniel Taylor age 12
        Elizabeth Taylor age 9

Is this the right family?
        Last edited by cpdavis35; 20-10-11, 10:12.
        Craig

Comment

The MA Rogers that you are looking for is Single and formerly a servant on 1861 census.
          Have searched for Mary/Mary Ann Rogers and just Rogers b c 1789 Southwark on '51 with that criteria but nothing comes up.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-10-11, 13:22.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Many thanks. It was a long shot I may find her with other family members to try to tie down the Rogers line.

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
              1851 census - 9 Russell Place, St. George Southwark Kent Road District

William Clark Taylor age 58 Wood Carver Master birthplace Kingsland, Middx.
              Sarah Taylor age 59 Wife birthplace Southwark, Surrey
              Danl Taylor age 21 Son Wood Carver Joiner birthplace Southwark, Surrey

1841 Census - Russell Place, St George The Martyr Kent Road District
              William Taylor age 48
              Sarah Taylor age 50
              Sarah Taylor age 22
              William Taylor age 21
              Benjamin Taylor age 18
              Eliza Taylor age 14
              Daniel Taylor age 12
              Elizabeth Taylor age 9

Is this the right family?
              Hi yes, but its the Rogers line I was trying to trace. I was hoping that it would give more clues to Sarah Rogers(who became Sarah Taylor) family :(

Comment

Hi Margaret, yes The thing is, I couldnt find M A Rogers before the 1861 with the Taylor family - Im assuming Mary Ann, though it could be something else, but Ive even tried using just Rodgers/Rogers - so I was wondering is she was in fact married to a Rogers and as you know census ticks can be in the wrong boxes

What I was hoping was to narrow down the possible ancestry of Sarah Rogers by tying up both girls to one set of parents in the baptism records.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  Hi Margaret, yes The thing is, I couldnt find M A Rogers before the 1861 with the Taylor family - Im assuming Mary Ann, though it could be something else, but Ive even tried using just Rodgers/Rogers - so I was wondering is she was in fact married to a Rogers and as you know census ticks can be in the wrong boxes

What I was hoping was to narrow down the possible ancestry of Sarah Rogers by tying up both girls to one set of parents in the baptism records.
                  Yes, you are right about census boxes and information - and as we have often said on here 'what was the question that produced the answer we are looking at?

Trouble is if she was a servant somewhere her name may not have been included or just initials or simply wrong - not an easy one to track down I think! :(

Comment

Shame :( I think I shall have to go back and study the names of Sarah Rogers Taylor's kids, that may help track down her correct parents.

Comment

don't know if this is linked but the only m rogers i can see from southwark on the 1841 census was married to a thomas rogers living in swan street st. george the martyr southwark, kent road. both aged 50.

they appear on the 1851 census living in goulstons cottages camberwell st george, surrey.

there are a few deaths between 1851 and 1861 for a thomas rogers in surrey.
                      Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X