Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing an indexed marriage

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find the original entry for a marriage I have in my tree, the marriage is between Anthony Robinson and Ann Bell and was in 1765.

Anthony Robinson was baptised at All Saints in Spofforth (Yorkshire), he was also buried there and his son was baptised there. He lived in Ribston (variously called Great Ribston, Little Ribston, Ribston Little and so on ) which is the next village along and didn't have its own church so I think he will have been in that small area all his life.

The marriage is on the IGI without much info, I think the transcription comes from Boyds. I have looked in Boyds index myself at the library and it's listed in there for 1765, it says 'Doncaster' next to it though and I've no idea why unless that's where the records were when it was indexed?

I've also found the entry in a book called Yorkshire Marriage Index (there's an ebook of it on-line) listed as follows:

172 Yorkshire Marriage Registers [1765
    Anthony Robinson, of Great Ribston, &
    Ann Bell, lie 26 Nov. „

The marriage must be in an original parish record somewhere in order to have been indexed but if it's not at Spofforth where they lived I'm not sure where to look, does anyone have any ideas or other resources I could check?

Thanks,

Ian.

The IGI has two records - perhaps one is the Bishop's transcript, but the other has a Marriage Register batch number: M10630-2
    Looking in Hugh Wallis site, that's the batch for Doncaster's parish church: 1735-1812

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Maybe the marriage was in Doncaster then, that's very odd! The marriage from the book of 26th Nov (which gives the Ribston link) matches the IGI one that says Doncaster so it's pretty safe to assume it's the same marriage. I can't think why it was in Doncaster though unless Ann was from there, she could be as I don't know anything about her! I guess I'll have to find the original of that and see what it says, hopefully it'll give me a clue!

Thanks for your help,

Ian

Comment

I've just noticed - Ann Bell lie - does this mean the marriage was by licence and if it does then I think you can assume they were in Doncaster for some temporary purpose - but one which mant they couldn't get home to marry (in time???)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          I've just noticed - Ann Bell lie - does this mean the marriage was by licence and if it does then I think you can assume they were in Doncaster for some temporary purpose - but one which mant they couldn't get home to marry (in time???)

OC
          Or perhaps had some reason for marrying out of range of family, friends and acquaintances, and avoiding the use of banns to announce the marriage...

One of them under-age?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I guess it could do, lots of the entries in the book say 'lie' next to them. If they lived there it would normally be by banns wouldn't it?

I've got a feeling I'll have to go do Doncaster to see the original, I don't think there are any microfiches or books in Leeds for St. Georges as far as I can see.

I'm quite interested in them as their son went on to be a tea dealer in York and bought a Freedom which was pretty expensive, his son went on to be an Attorney. It seems as though some money came into the family from somewhere as Anthony was a linen weaver and I wouldn't think that would have made him overly wealthy, I'm wondering if the Bells had a bit of money! It's so far back it's going to be hard to find much of anything out though but some of the parish registers have fairly detailed entries it's a bit of a lottery, I think it's worth getting a look at the original if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Or perhaps had some reason for marrying out of range of family, friends and acquaintances, and avoiding the use of banns to announce the marriage...

One of them under-age?

Christine
              The other IGI entry (the one with an 'I' infront) lists them as 25 and 30 years old, I've found Anthony's baptism and the age for him matches so I guess that info is correct although I don't know where it's come from!

Ian

Comment

Just wondering whether (not that it matters) someone has misread a "c" for an "e", and they all actually say "lic". That would be a more obvious abbreviation for "licence" - tho' it's not uncommon to go for the beginning and end of a word, I suppose.

Christine

Comment

I think the book will be machine read rather than typed out so it'll be however the computer 'read' it, if the quality of the copy in the original isn't good it could be wrong but it does say 'lie' a lot of times!

Comment

So, when I go to www.familysearch.org, and enter Ann's and Anthony's names, for a marriage in England in 1765, two entries pop up as likely matches.

The first is from an index to marriage licences. The source film number is listed on the index:1470088. Here's the catalog entry for it:
                    www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F395276

The second entry is the parish record for the marriage. The listed film number is 919338 - BT for the Doncaster church. It's catalog entry:
                    www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatalog-search-api%3A8080%2Fwww-catalogapi-webservice%2Fitem%2F257975

Either film can be requested for viewing at a family history centre . . . The licence gives Ann's age!

Comment

I have an ancestor who was described as a Cotton weaver in the late 1700s. I was startled to discover that in fact he owned a factory and employed many hundreds of people. Maybe the same for your linen weaver.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X