GRANGETOWN, CARDIFF - good historical website with photos and stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRANGETOWN, CARDIFF - good historical website with photos and stories

From members on here accessing probate records on Ancestry and guiding me through the procedure to obtain a will (much easier than I thought once you have those probate entry details), I have found out so much more about my grandfather's family. Really encourage anyone hesitating to fork out that £6 and get a will if there is one.

From even more help here, I could read a report of a posthumous appeal on behalf of my gt gt grandfather, Robert Bryant, in the House of Lords (as directed in his will) in the London Gazette.

From that, I found the name of the pub, The Princess Royal, on Hewitt St, Grangetown where he lived in 1871 census.

It just pays to google an address because this has led to me finding this informative website on Grangetown, with mention of The Princess Royal.

Link now amended as didn't work before

http://188.65.112.140/~daftscou/steve/Twenties2.htm

I am now going to send them the information about Robert Bryant - an illiterate man, guided by solicitors and QCs no doubt, to risk his couple of hundred pounds estate to paying costs if he lost his appeal. He lost...and his wife was in lodgings by 1901 after his death.
    Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 18-10-11, 16:54.
    Liz

I'd like to see that site but the link does not work for me. Many of my recent ancestors lived in Grangetown. I was born in Cardiff and all four of my Grandparents lived there. I think you might have mentioned in a previous post that your Bryants were from Ireland. If so, you might be interested in a site I have found which gives a lot of detail about the Irish in Cardiff, how they got there, their reception, the feelings of the local population etc. If you would like it, I'll rummage around and post it here.

P.S. Hmm just re read your other post and no mention of Ireland! Just another senior moment then.
    Last edited by Elderflower; 18-10-11, 15:38. Reason: Added a post script

Comment

Sorry the link didn't work...let me try again:

http://188.65.112.140/~daftscou/steve/Twenties2.htm

I would like the link to the Irish in Cardiff site, elderflower. My grandfather married a Hart, who a few generations back were from Ireland. I have a book called:

Images of Wales: Roath, Splott and Adamsdown compiled by Jeff Childs. Some text as well as pics. Very good. Amazon still selling them new and used:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used
      Liz

Comment

Liz, thankyou for that link - it worked. Have just spent the last hour reading it. Lots of places and roads I remember from my Cardiff days.

Found one of many links to the Irish in Cardiff, but this link has the article I was thinking of:

Also from that link you should be able to access other articles from "The Green Dragon".

Comment

What a gripping account of the Irish emigrating to Wales that link provides. Thank you elderflower. It confirms that most of the Irish coming to Cardiff (?and S Wales) were from Cork and that region.

My grandfather was a coal trimmer at the docks.
          Liz

Comment

The man who is webmaster of that Grangetown website is interested in the info I sent about my gt gt grandfather. He has, without me asking, looked at local papers in archives and found more information (and clearer) about gt gt grandfather's House of Lords appeal. It is linked to the local historical society.
            Liz

Comment

Hi there! Would it be possible to find out who lived where through other documents then the census. I have one adress where my grandfather and grandmother ( Thomas Dunstan Lee and Cissie Lee (Richard or Richardsson) and that is Olive Street nr 81 in Grangetown Cardiff. Is it possible to find any data that can confirm this? I have been looking at the census, but found nothing. I found on one document (the same as the adress) that he was a butcher. That can be right, cause his father was a butcher. On their marriage license it says Clive street.

Comment

Working...
              X