X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.C London ?

am looking for a Jane Sophia Knight born 1863 Islington
    think this is her in 1891 but it says born London E.C

have found her I think as a Jane S Knight a servant in 1881 and that says born Islingon
    Last edited by Guest; 17-10-11, 14:34.

what are you trying to find Val? her in 1901?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

That would fit OK I think as although most of Islington was/is in London North, parts of it were in London East Central and still have EC post codes.
      Last edited by JudithM; 17-10-11, 14:53.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Birth:

Name: Susan Jane S Knight
        Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1868
        Registration district: Islington
        Inferred County: London
        Volume: 1b
        Page: 218
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ooh sorry Julie have her birth wanted to see if that was her in 1891 as wasn't sure what London E C meant
          Thanks Judith that explains it

Comment

When I worked in the City, the firm's office on the corner of Queen Street and Cheapside (with a view up to the Guildhall) had an EC4 postcode.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I always thought Islington came under N postcode ??thats why I was confused

Comment

I always thought Islington came under N something as my mother and her parents and going further back from them were also in the london borough of islington with the postcode of N.
                Craig

Comment

Here are the London Postal Districts from 1900. Islington does seem to lie above the City Road.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks very much Keldon it does look as if Islington is right on the EC border on that map

Comment

oh my gawd so sorry had lost my notes on her and had forgotten I had asked before looks like a case of de je vu think I had better leave this research for a while.

Comment

I guess the information on the 1891 would have been given by Jane's employer who wouldn't necessarily have known her true place of birth in any case. Think my next move would be to see if I could find a Jane S Knight other than your Jane Sophia. If there isn't one, or any you find can be accounted for then this one is probably yours.
                        Last edited by JudithM; 07-08-12, 06:37.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                        X