Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extraordinary entry in Baptism Register.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraordinary entry in Baptism Register.

I was doing a bit of general searching in the FMP baptism records and just put in WASS, and the county as Suffolk. I clicked for the "allow variations" option.

There are 58 records, and the record that comes up 53rd in the list...

I'f you can't get it let me know!

(I'm off to bed now.)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Ooooh errr

I wonder which daye this daye wass?:D
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Oh do tell us ...............

I found an odd one yesterday - it had a list of 4 kids all bracketed together and then it had a note saying something like "the children of Dr xxxx, brought from laying in ground xxxxxxxxxxxxx" Sounds like they had be disinterred and then reburied?
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-10-11, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
        Ooooh errr

I wonder which daye this daye wass?:D
        From memory, the register shows it as 18 March 1612 (old calendar). ... 'memory' because I'm using my iPad upstairs, so don't have the image handy to check.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

But look at the source - not Suffolk at all!!

Diocese of Chester parish registers of baptisms c1538-1910
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Because that source doesn't give a place name it seems to turn up at the end of loads of "allow variations" lists. Back to the actual entry though, I love coming across these old registers where the vicar (or was it the parish clerk) uses them as a diary of current events as well as registering baptisms, burials etc. and guess the transcriber didn't want to just leave out this snippet so slotted it into the burial spreadsheet fields he had available.
            If I had been the transcriber I'd probably never have finished the job as i would have been sidetracked into finding out more about the earthquake :D
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

It says that it happened at about 7 o'clock in the morning.

I wish all old registers were that easy to read.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

That's fascinating.

I've seen one register where the vicar commented on the progress of the war with Napoleon, and another one announced that 6 families (about 30 people) from his small Warwickshire village had just emigrated to Canada, but never seen anything as exciting as an earthquake.

Comment

PLEASE, someone enlighten me.

Comment

This Daye
                    There Was an Earthquake

18 Mar 1612

written in the baptismal register!
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Oh brilliant, it must have shook him up (in more ways than one). There may well be more info on the net?

Comment

I think that this article must be referring to the same earthquake: http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/c...EW&classic=YES
                        It refers to 1613, but I'd guess that that is a calendar adjustment.

It says it was felt in Flintshire and Shropshire.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                        X