Can I marry my Aunty ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I marry my Aunty ?

The topic is Academic really but interesting for me. Can't marry my sister, step-sister perhaps ? Cousin,.. probably?
    My Uncle's wife was very attractive and much fun when I was a teenager but I remember they divorced rather quickly and all contact was lost. So my 'crush' went the way of all crushes.
    Where does it say who one is allowed to marry?

Try this list ...
    This is the definitive list of the best wedding blogs in the industry. We've curated the top 105 websites offering bridal tips, ideas and inspiration here.
    Elaine

Comment

That's a useful Site Elaine, thank you. It looks as though I can marry my Aunty !

Comment

If your aunty is no longer available then you can marry your cousin instead.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          That's a useful Site Elaine, thank you. It looks as though I can marry my Aunty !
          Sorry to disappoint you Alan, but it says on there that you can't.
          Elaine

Comment

You can only marry your step sister if you and she were brought up in different households. I always think this is rather odd - what's the difference, there's no blood relationship.

OC

Comment

No Elaine he can, because the Aunty he refers to is not his parent's sister, but only the wife of his mother or father's brother.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Apologies, didn't read the first post correctly!
                Elaine

Comment

im pretty sure you used to be able to marry a blood aunt or uncle. how can they outlaw that but not first cousins? and why is there a law against in laws or steps? weird haha

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    im pretty sure you used to be able to marry a blood aunt or uncle. how can they outlaw that but not first cousins? and why is there a law against in laws or steps? weird haha
                    Probably just what society can handle up to now but nothing in relation to genetics which I believe is why the other relationships are taboo. This thread made me think of Woody Allan and the adopted daughter he had which turned into a relationship.
                    No doubt things will change as time goes by and more 'liberal' views are accepted. It sometimes needs someone to challenge these outdated conventions to get them changed though.
                    Margaret

Comment

I couldn't find my grandmother's brother on the 1911 census although I did find his wife and their 3 young children.

Then I did a search for his step-children and found him living a couple of streets away with his eldest step daughter and two more little children bearing his name.

No wonder Granny never mentioned that she had any brothers.

Comment

Tables of consanguinity and affinity from biblical times to the 20th century are on my website at

Consanguinity deals with the blood relationships and affinity with social relationships.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

First cousins can and do marry!
                          My elder sister's daughter married my younger sister's son.
                          They have two gorgeous children, and are very happy together.
                          I rather they married, and made a commitment, than just lived together (which there would be no legal ban on!).
                          I think everyone is entitled to happiness.

Comment

Guy's post reminded me of long church services as a child and of relieving the boredom by reading the tables of Kindred and Affinity in my prayer book. Is this where the seeds of digging into family history first took root!;D;D;D
                            Helen
                            Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.
                              Last edited by AlanC; 18-10-11, 17:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X