Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I have some help with my Hansons please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I have some help with my Hansons please?

I cant remember how to find people on the 1911 :( on ancestry BUT the odd thing is, I cant find any baptisms for my Hansons (is Camberwell not covered on ancestrys LMA records?) and I cant find what happened to some of the kids - Im ok with the girls - my gran is Emma Hanson - James the eldest boy I actually met as a child - but its the other boys I cant seem to find, Arthur, Henry and another boy called Samuel W who was apparently born 1887. It all seems a bit strange. Or Im just mad or stupid (which is very probable)

Many thanks anyway.

This is the family in 1901 living Camberwell. The father committed suicide in October 1912 when they were lviing at 33 Coopers Row, Old Kent Road, Camberwell

James Hanson 40
    Maria Hanson 38
    James Hanson 14
    Florence Hanson 12
    Emma Hanson 10
    Ethel Hanson 8
    Arthur Hanson 6
    Henry Hanson 4
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-10-11, 14:15.

Hi Heather
    I think they are at the same address as 1901.
    Moggie

Comment

On the ancestry 1911, Im vaguely remembering now how to do it. I find the county and what have you but where do I find the enumeration district anyone please? I looking for Coburg Ward?
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-10-11, 14:43.

Comment

Is this what you are looking for Heather?

Moggie

Comment

Hi there, thank you but thats the summary isnt it. I meant the actual form with the whole family shown. I can vaguely remember how to do it, but I fall at the last post where I have to find the enumeration district number. I will have a shot again later I can see 4 males there. So if its the same boys - whatever happened to them.

Comment

i don't think Ancestry have put up the detailed records yet. You have to use FindMyPast or the official 1911 site.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Start off here

- making note of district, enumeration district, household no. etc.

Then go here

and use the information you found in the previous search in the drop down menus on the right.
              When the image appears, double the household number and go to that page in the images, and you should be about in the right place.

- ending up here
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I just couldnt remember how to bring up the individual sheets on there. Stupid, of course you use the summary book info :( I could vaguely remember doubling a page number but couldnt remember what I will be glad when they finally make it name searchable.

Webwiz - yes they are on there just not easily name searchable. You have do look at the summary book first and then track down the individuals census sheet - as Elaine described above.

Great, I did it the hard way myself but ended up same place - many thanks Elaine. So, still mystified as Samuel isnt there at all - and the form shows 5 births and 5 live children - my gran isnt shown on there but as she was a suffragette, may be she refused to be added, as did a lot of them. But why isnt she put down as a live birth? And what happened to those boys -my aunt said she never met them and she is 84 now. Hmm.
                Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 16-10-11, 23:22.

Comment

Heather,

are you sure that Samuel was born 1887? just that James is born in that same year 1887? do you have them on previous census? I can't seem to find anything that fits.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ethel is listed as being 8 on 1901, but in 1911 she is shown as being 13 and at school.
                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

All a bit strange isnt it. The girls went to a private school, but GGF was in dire straits by 1911 so I cant imagine he kept her there. - but clearly 13 is wrong. I actually remember Ethel too - my nan looked after her in her last years - I remember her being in a wheelchair because of arthritis - but I was only perhaps 4 or 5 years old, so dont have much of a memory of her except she smelt of Pears soap

By 1911 GGF was already well in debt - he went bankrupt after being the subject of a business scam - was reading the Old Bailey trial and felt so sorry for him. From owning a thriving business to then ending up penniless - the paper report of his suicide says it was due to money worries following the collapse of his business.
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-10-11, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                        All a bit strange isnt it. The girls went to a private school, but GGF was in dire straits by 1911 so I cant imagine he kept her there. - but clearly 13 is wrong. I actually remember Ethel too - my nan looked after her in her last years - I remember her being in a wheelchair because of arthritis - but I was only perhaps 4 or 5 years old, so dont have much of a memory of her except she smelt of Pears soap

By 1911 GGF was already well in debt - he went bankrupt after being the subject of a business scam - was reading the Old Bailey trial and felt so sorry for him. From owning a thriving business to then ending up penniless - the paper report of his suicide says it was due to money worries following the collapse of his business.
                        Didn't all Great Aunts? :D

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

That's a very sad story Heather. What happened to your Great Grandmother after he died?

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Apparently took to drink Sue. Though my aunt Ethel (not my great aunt) tells me my gran said she was half the cause of GGF's breakdown anyway - course, we will never know.

The thing was, the eldest son, James just took what money was left and disappeared. He turned up when I was a small kid, having "travelled the world" and in his 70s. Again, my nan took him in, despite the fact she had been forced to work in factories and play piano at music halls and cinemas because she had no way of support - she used to be the accountant for my GGFs business. But then, had she not been forced into that life, she would never have met my grandfather, a working class man and so Id not exist
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 17-10-11, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                            X