canadian birth records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canadian birth records?

hi :-) i am trying to search Edgar John Hillier who was born around 1897. he came to england liverpool around 1914 when he was 16. apparently he joined the british army but i can find not record. as it is all before the 1911 census i am getting no where at all. can any body give me some advice please? thank you take care julie

If you go here:

and enter hillier edgar there are 3 records - 2 to do with the CEF and one immigration record. Hopefully one or more of these is your man!

Comment

thank you :-)i dont think any of them are mine - as he was in the british army not the canadian, also he imagrated before 1926. i tried to look at the census on that site but you seem to have to know where he was from? i will keep clicking haha. thanks again julie

Comment

How do you know he came to England in 1914 - have you found him on an incoming passenger list?
        Do you know of any other family members?
        What do you know about him after the WW1? Did he stay in England or return to Canada?
        Elaine

Comment

he was my freinds great grandfather, her grandad was peter john hiller and his dad was edgar. she knows he was born around 1897 in canada and came to england when he was about 15. i have a passenger list for 14/10/1913 with an egar hillier aged 16 on it. apperently he used to always tell the story of how he lied about his age so that he could join the british army. after the war he lived in liverpool and married and had 6 children, is that enough info? she really dose not know anything else sadly. take care julie

Comment

Could this be his marriage to Ina I Bain
            Edgar Hillier
            Spouse Surname: Bain
            Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1920
            Registration district: West Derby Inferred County: Lancashire
            Volume Number: 8b Page Number: 1461

Comment

There are 6 children born to this marriage from 1928 to 1944 can't put up the details as may still be alive.

You can get the marriage certificate which will give you Edgar's father's name and hopefully his correct age which may help to find him in a Canadian census.
              Margaret

Comment

There is a tree on ancestry with Edgar Hillier b1897 in it http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/578...95657420?ssrc=
                If you don't have access to ancestry PM your email address to me and I will make contact for you.
                Margaret

Comment

Does your friend know whereabouts in Canada he was born? Unfortunately Canadian records are not so freely available as ours in the UK. However some Provinces have births listed online for the period you are looking for.

Try Automated Genealogy for some free census records

Ontario births

Manitoba births

British Columbia births

Nova Scotia births

Saskatchewan births

There are some others, I'll check and get back to you.
                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    Could this be his marriage to Ina I Bain
                    Edgar Hillier
                    Spouse Surname: Bain
                    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1920
                    Registration district: West Derby Inferred County: Lancashire
                    Volume Number: 8b Page Number: 1461
                    According to Lancashire BMD (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk), that was at West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thats the fella :-) and you are correct all but 1 is still alive. she wants to find out his exact date of birth and abou his war record, so really anything prior his marrage :-) thank you julie

Comment

Originally posted by julieanne13 View Post
                        thats the fella :-) and you are correct all but 1 is still alive. she wants to find out his exact date of birth and abou his war record, so really anything prior his marrage :-) thank you julie
                        The tree on ancestry that I mentioned earlier has a place and date of birth for Edgar Hillier so would be well worth while making contact. As I said send me a PM with you email address and I will send it to the tree owner to make contact.
                        Margaret

Comment

Can't see anything in the WW1 listings but it could be his record didn't survive.
                          Margaret

Comment

If the Edgar Margaret has found is the correct tree, it states he was born in Point au Gaul, Newfoundland and Labrador. Unfortunately these records are not online, but this gives more information.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

This Edgar Hillier that Bertie found on post #2 is from Newfoundland. It gives his d.o.b. as 28 September 1895. Is it possible that he lied about his age and joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and came to England with the Canadian Army (as did my Grandad).

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

hi all :-) thanks for trying to help i really do appreciate it :-) margaretmarch i did see that link and i am so hoping its good - i have emailed them via ancestry thank you. as for the other links it will take me a while but i will look at them all :-). she said edgar died in 1966 and the family lost contact with canada so she does not know where he was from or any of the family still there.

Comment

Originally posted by julieanne13 View Post
                                  he was my freinds great grandfather, her grandad was peter john hiller and his dad was edgar. she knows he was born around 1897 in canada and came to england when he was about 15. i have a passenger list for 14/10/1913 with an egar hillier aged 16 on it. apperently he used to always tell the story of how he lied about his age so that he could join the british army. after the war he lived in liverpool and married and had 6 children, is that enough info? she really dose not know anything else sadly. take care julie
                                  This passenger list is for Edgar Hillier travelling from Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia on 14 October 1913. Newfoundland was a Dominion in it's own right in 1913 and didn't officially become part of Canada until 1949, hence Edgar stating on the Passenger List that he'd never been to Canada before.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                                    This passenger list is for Edgar Hillier travelling from Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia on 14 October 1913. Newfoundland was a Dominion in it's own right in 1913 and didn't officially become part of Canada until 1949, hence Edgar stating on the Passenger List that he'd never been to Canada before.
                                    That is likely the one who is shown in the ancestry tree as he was born in Newfoundland and the name is a bit unusual.
                                    Margaret

Comment

i think you might well be right margaret :-).

Comment

shows how stupid i am i thought the 1913 shipping list was him coming to england! cannot belive it. so i still have not found him coming here. it says he left port aux basques newfoundland and sailed to north sydney nova scotia im just going to go and google them to see where they are :-(

Comment

Working...
                                        X