Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i find a bussiness in the 60's 70's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i find a bussiness in the 60's 70's?

Hello :-) my freinds grand parents ran a printing shop called TNT printing. She thinks she remebers it being in Fleet St London. However she was really to young to remeber exactly and the bussiness had closed before she was old enough to take notice. Family have since died and she cannot find any more info. I have spent days trying to find any thing but have hit a brick wall. So wondered if any one might be able to help? Thank you take care Julie

That sounds like the sort of thing where a local trade directory would be helpful. Assuming that they haven't already been closed (!), perhaps there's a library in the area with a local history section - or perhaps the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) would have the relevant directories for you? Even phone books could help!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

good information :-) do you think the local trade directory is on the internet or even the phone? lodon is miles from me and i cannot justify the £50+ pounds it would cost me to get there. thank you julie

Comment

Something in the deep recesses of my mind says this was a franchise.
        I'm not 100% certain, just a hunch but looking in that direction may help.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

where can i see the directory please? thanks again

Comment

I know that Ancestry has telephone directories online. Your local library may be like ours: I can book a slot of computer time at my local branch and they have the Library Edition of Ancestry there. That's free access.

Another possibility, is if your library's online resources include newspapers. There may be some local advertisements, but Herts has the Times Digital Archive and the British Library C19 Collection. But I suspect that neither would have what you want. I should say that I get access to those from home, using my membership number as a password.

There's another possibility: find out the contact info for one of the relevant libraries, and see if they have an "Ask a Librarian" service. They might be willing to find something for you - even if they don't have that facility in a formal way.

Then there's the request area here: someone may be in the habit of going to the LMA or local library with the relevant stuff, and could be willing to look up material for you.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-10-11, 14:19.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thank you - i would never have thought of that - thank you take care julie

Comment

Maybe its still going:

~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                X