Last names Algorithm

Exact

Birth Year

Residence

BURY

Many thanks.
    Cath.

Hi Cath,

Only one is coming up in Bury with those parameters. He was living with his parents Thomas and Ann, also siblings Clara, Lizzie, William, and Alfred, and he is down as a sheet metal worker, born in Bury.

Hope that helps,
    Zoe

PS, listed as "single"

Comment

Many thanks Zoe. Sadly this one isn't mine. He just vanishes after 1901.
      Cath.

Comment

do you have him in 1901 ??

Comment

Usually this means that the person died, emigrated, moved away or just missed the census.
          Died - can't see a likely death in FreeBMD - although there is one in Morpeth.
          Emigrated - needs a long slog through many sites
          Moved away - there are 12 others with no middle name scattered across the north of England in 1911
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Here's his entry on FreeBMD. He's the 2nd one. Baptism recorded at Holy Trinity Church, Bury, 1892 as Thomas Battersby. Maybe unusual middle name will help.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Births Mar 1893 (>99%)
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graham Thomas Bury 8c 633
            Graham Thomas Batterbee Bury 8c 617

Thanks to all who have searched so far.
            Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
              Many thanks Zoe. Sadly this one isn't mine. He just vanishes after 1901.
              From that, I infer that it's not the family in 1901 (18, Woodfield Terrace, Bury) at RG13/3638 fo 7 p 5

so it must be the family at 6, Taylor Street, Bury RG13/3639 fo 106 p 8
              where the parents are Thomas (b Dumfries) & Lilian (b Oxford), and siblings are Isabella (b Birkenhead), David, Martha, Norman and William (all b Bury).

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I reckon I've found Thomas in 1911: RG14/22272 RG78/1316 RD454 SD3 ED21 SN340

He shows as a widower, and the detail about his marriage is crossed out - but there. Only two of his four children are still alive.

Christine

EDIT: Not as straightforward as I thought. That one is a police pensioner, aged 66, but there's a police pensioner of the same name, aged 56, in 1901: RG13/3489 fo 76 p 12, also b Scotland, so I'm inclined to think that there's a match there between these two Thomas GRAHAMs, and not the one with a family in 1901.
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-10-11, 20:23.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thomas & Lilian are here in 1911: RG14PN23480 RG78PN1369 RD462 SD3 ED9 SN423
                  with all six living children of that marriage.

I notice that there's a birth registration (but no death recorded, that I can see) in 1900 for Jeannie Core GRAHAM - presumably named for the first wife who died in 1895.

But I haven't managed to find anything more about the Thomas (b 1893) about whom you're actually looking for info.

Is there a "GRAHAM" GoONS member, who might have him in their records?

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    From that, I infer that it's not the family in 1901 (18, Woodfield Terrace, Bury) at RG13/3638 fo 7 p 5

so it must be the family at 6, Taylor Street, Bury RG13/3639 fo 106 p 8
                    where the parents are Thomas (b Dumfries) & Lilian (b Oxford), and siblings are Isabella (b Birkenhead), David, Martha, Norman and William (all b Bury).

Christine

Thanks for looking Christine. Yes he's the one I'm looking for. A few years ago I was given copies of two photos One, my avatar, the other a portrait of a soldier with his wife and child. The Scottish one has Thomas Graham written on the back. The other says Mr.&Mrs. Thomas Graham and Stella. The only person who fits age-wise seems to be Thomas B. Graham, 1893. We can find no trace for birth of Stella. All his siblings are "accounted for".
                    Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                      Thanks for looking Christine. Yes he's the one I'm looking for. A few years ago I was given copies of two photos One, my avatar, the other a portrait of a soldier with his wife and child. The Scottish one has Thomas Graham written on the back. The other says Mr.&Mrs. Thomas Graham and Stella. The only person who fits age-wise seems to be Thomas B. Graham, 1893. We can find no trace for birth of Stella. All his siblings are "accounted for".
                      What sort of date is the photo? and how clearly-written is the name "Stella"? Could it be "Bella" - i.e. Isabella (b 1885q4 Birkenhead: Isabella Blacklock GRAHAM).

Christine

Comment

Incidentally, I thought that Walter George GRAHAM b 1880-81 Birkenhead didn't seem to appear in the GRO index, even tho' he's in the Cheshire index for 1880. But I've just spotted Walter George GRAHAM in the GRO index for 1881q1 - so I guess he was born right at the end of the December.

Christine

Comment

Christine, I have at least 2 Isabella Blacklock Grahams in the family and also an Isabella Blacklock Allen - all accounted for thanks. I got the photos via email from another rellie so haven't see the actual writing on the back.
                          There were 16 living children in the family (3 marriages) but Thomas (1892/3) is the only one I can't follow after 1901.
                          Cath.

Comment

Ah well! It seemed such a plausible idea!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X