Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Hibbs and Hubert Pearson - what am I overlooking?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Hibbs and Hubert Pearson - what am I overlooking?!

Hi all,

Not been on the forum for a while but have started doing the family tree again and would really appreciate your help!

I'm afraid the background is long:

In my family tree, I have a Hubert Pryer PEARSON, b. 1886 in Bolehall (Tamworth, Warks/Staffs) to Joseph Pearson and Henrietta Caroline Pryer. All my research - including the 1911 census where the number of children to Joseph and Henrietta is stated - show that he had two brothers only: Thomas Pryer Pearson b. 1884 in Dymchurch, Kent, and Frederick George Pryer Pearson b. 1899 in Bolehall.

Hubert Pryer Pearson was a reasonably famous footballer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Pearson, as was his son, Harold Frederick Pearson, b. 1908, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Pearson. Both of these articles, and indeed lots of other sites on the Web, state that Hubert Pearson had a "nephew", Harold HIBBS, who was also a famous footballer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hibbs_(footballer). Please note that although he was always known as "Harry" or "Henry Edward" Hibbs, he was actually born Edward Henry Hibbs in 1906, in Wilnecote.

Herein lies the problem! I cannot for the life of me find the family connection between Hubert Pryer Pearson and Harry Hibbs making them uncle and nephew! Harry's parents were Robert Harry HIBBS and Matilda HILL; Hubert Pryer Pearson's wife was Harriett WRIGHT.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

Many thanks,
    Zoe

Perhaps he was a great nephew and so more distantly related.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I guess if Hubert's wife Harriet had a much older sister who married a Hill and had a child called Matilda, then that would make Harry her great nephew, and thus Herbert's through marriage. Does that work? I don't see how he could be a great nephew on Hubert's side, since his older brother was only 2 years older than him.

Thanks,
      Zoe

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
        Hi Margaret,

I guess if Hubert's wife Harriet had a much older sister who married a Hill and had a child called Matilda, then that would make Harry her great nephew, and thus Herbert's through marriage. Does that work? I don't see how he could be a great nephew on Hubert's side, since his older brother was only 2 years older than him.

Thanks,
        Zoe
        It could even be further back that that - thinking about cousins no one ever says 5th cousin but simply cousin so you might have to fling the net quite wide to find a connection.
        Margaret

Comment

I have a family will here which refers to "my nephews" (by name). Most are great nephews, some are great great nephews and quite a few are nephews by marriage. Took me absolutely ages to sort out and I probably couldn't have managed it except she kindly put in their full addresses!

OC

Comment

Hi Zoe,

As a big Birmingham City supporter, Harry Hibbs has been a name that I have known since I was a small lad!!!

I have had a look in the Birmingham City Complete Record, and it says that Harold Pearson was his cousin. They both played in goal during the 1931 FA Cup Final, Hibbs for Birmingham and Pearson for West Brom.

Tippin

EDIT - Looking through the books I have on the Blues, I have found reference to another of Hibb's cousin's Horace Pearson, who played for Coventry. I have had a look on wikipedia, but there is no page for Horace, although there is a couple of references to a Horace Pearson playing in goal for Blackpool during the 1930's.
            Last edited by Tippin; 15-10-11, 16:51.
            Families Intrested in
            Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input! I guess I'm just going to have to follow the Hibbs tree back and then forwards again. And hope that it doesn't turn out that Hubert Pearson was, say, a godfather or something with the courtesy title of "uncle". Because if so I'll have wasted a lot of time
              Tippin, Horace Pearson was, apparently, my first cousin twice removed. I didn't know he was also a footballer - thanks for the extra info! Hubert Pearson - 1st cousin 3 times removed. Wish I could fit Harry Hibbs in here somewhere!
              I've even e-mailed Birmingham City just in case they have a resident historian who might be able to fill me in. You can't really get more of a long shot than that, though!

Comment

Originally posted by zoejg View Post
                Thanks everyone for your input! I guess I'm just going to have to follow the Hibbs tree back and then forwards again. And hope that it doesn't turn out that Hubert Pearson was, say, a godfather or something with the courtesy title of "uncle". Because if so I'll have wasted a lot of time
                Tippin, Horace Pearson was, apparently, my first cousin twice removed. I didn't know he was also a footballer - thanks for the extra info! Hubert Pearson - 1st cousin 3 times removed. Wish I could fit Harry Hibbs in here somewhere!
                I've even e-mailed Birmingham City just in case they have a resident historian who might be able to fill me in. You can't really get more of a long shot than that, though!

Harold Pearson and Harry Hibbs were indeed cousins; they grew up together, went to school together and played in the same school football team (Harold taking the centre forward position for such occasions). This team proved to be invincible and so the Local Education Authority changed the rules to prevent both from playing in the same team at the same time.

Harold Pearson played in goal for West Bromwich Albion and played in the 1931 FA Cup Final. This was the occasion when the goalkeepers were cousins. The opposition (Birmingham) goalkeeper was Harry (Henry) Hibbs.

Harold’s father, Hubert Pearson, also a well known WBA goalkeeper and he played in the 1912 FA Cup Final.

In 1935, Harold returned to Wembley for another FA Cup final when WBA lost to Sheffield – he gave his runner-up medal to my father (Norman Hubert Pearson) another cousin. However, an unfortunate incident with a u-boat in 1942 (Malta convoy), consigned the medal to the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea; fortunately, my father survived the experience.

I haven't yet constructed a tree for this part of my family but would be interested to see what information you have unearthed.

Ian

Comment

Hello Ian and welcome to the Forum,

This member has not been around since 2011 but you can send a private message to her via our own system, if you click on the user name in blue in this thread you can select send a private message, I have taken the trouble to send one for you as a new member you can not use the system until you have posted three messages here, if the e mail address is still current then they may receive it and reply here.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                  X