william smith, preston lancs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william smith, preston lancs

my ancestor was william smith. he married elizabeth sophia twyford on 6 feb 1823, manchester cathedral. he was from preston, and a draper.

my ancestor josiah was christened in 1824, non conformist church in preston. william's occupation was draper and tea dealer. there was a daughter ellen in 1825 and then mary in 1826. i was told years ago that the address at mary's christening was great avenham st, preston.

elizabeth's father josiah twyford left a will dated june 1831. in it she is mentioned as a widow. josiah was a corn dealer, among other things.

i know of two burials in preston that are plausible, based on research by a distant cousin.

1) william smith bur.4 may 1831, of back leaming st, age 72 b.1759.

2) william smith bur.7 jul 1832 at the roman catholic church preston. of great avenham st, preston. age 42 b.1790. "formerly of the firm of newsham and smith, corn dealers."

i guess the question is, is it possible that a draper and tea dealer could evolve into a partner (im guessing he was) in a corn dealer's? i don't know what his occupation was on the daughter's christenings. his father in law was a corn dealer, which makes me think he could have ended up in that trade. the burial for the corn dealer states he lived at great avenham st, same address as elizabeth.

on the other hand, there are quite a few william smith's born in preston around the 1790 mark, the corn dealer could easily be a william smith in the same street who did not marry elizabeth?

kylejustin

If Elizabeth was mentioned as a widow in 1831 then her husband probably was buried before 7 July 1832!

OC

Comment

that's what im thinking oc, but as she is mentioned as a widow only once, i was wondering if it was possible that was a an error. as far as i know, my cousin has looked at all burials in preston after 1826 to about 1832. i can't see why her husband would have been buried anywhere else!

Comment

Looked at all the burials in Preston? What, you mean your cousin has walked round every graveyard, looked at every register?

He could have been buried in a common grave and not recorded or he could have been buried in some family grave in Wiltshire, or wherever.

Unfortunately, absence of evidence is not evidence, it just means you haven't found it, either because you haven't looked in the right place or because it doesn't exist.

I think it's very unlikely her father would refer to her as a widow if she wasn't.

OC

Comment

family lore says william was scottish, and drowned in a canal, now one is sure where exactly, but manchester being close by, is the theory.

unfortunately there is no evidence to support any of the family myth. i understand it would be a rather large helping of luck to learn anything on his family, but i'd be happy just knowing the dates of his life!

Comment

Working...
          X