Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This ones a puzzle - Anne Heywood b. 1828 d. 8 Jan 1868

Ok so im trying to trace this person - who is my 3rd great grandmother

The puzzle is the following - She puts on her m/c Heywood (farther John Heywood - Gamekeeper??) nee Fisher (widow) - now this I beleive until she put Harris on her daughters b/c - I cant trace her on any census but the 1861 one here
    Class: RG9; Piece: 2996; Folio: 81; Page: 14; GSU roll: 543062.
    Lancashire > Dukinfield > District 19 > 14

The sad thing is her death - Cause: Drowned Herself whilst Insane age 38 years

see attached images

Her m/c

6ee5f707-aa9a-4ae6-93dd-4c6a23c1492b-0.jpg

And her daughters (Sarah Whaite) b/c

47cba860-abe4-4adf-a4b3-9bfd6a190d09-0.jpg

Can anyone help me uncover anymore info on Anne? do suicides get logged anywhere? i cant make out where she was born and if it is Worcestershire - then i find this highly unlikly that she would move to Lancs?

Any help would be greatly welcomed!!!
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 13-10-11, 11:43. Reason: cropped images reposted

Sorry but I have had to remove the images of the certificates from your post because of copyright.
    You can scan, crop and post just the centre section which contains the relevant piece of information, but a complete certificate should not be posted.

You will also find it better to post such images on the forum using something like Photobucket rather than the paperclip attachment; the latter produces a small image which is often very difficult to read. You can find help with Photobucket in our Reference & How To Guides section.
    Elaine

Comment

There is no separate record for suicides just the death certificate and you might be lucky to find a newspaper article about what happened.

The 1861 census shows her place of birth as Stourport I think.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Elaine - sorry about that!

Comment

Could it be possible that she was Anne Whaite Nee Fisher, Nee Harris, Nee Heywood ?

Comment

My reading of the situation is that she was born Harris - illegitimate - but knew her father to be Heywood the gamekeeper. She then married Fisher, was widowed and married Whaite.

When she married for the second time, she was not actually asked what her birth name had been - she was asked what her name was at the tim she was married, which was Mrs Fisher, widow.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              My reading of the situation is that she was born Harris - illegitimate - but knew her father to be Heywood the gamekeeper. She then married Fisher, was widowed and married Whaite.

When she married for the second time, she was not actually asked what her birth name had been - she was asked what her name was at the tim she was married, which was Mrs Fisher, widow.

OC
              That sounds very plausible - it's all in what question was asked and in what context isn't it?

Margaret

Comment

mmm yes, she could have been asked 'what's your maiden name' at one child's birth, and then 'what's your previous name' at another.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  mmm yes, she could have been asked 'what's your maiden name' at one child's birth, and then 'what's your previous name' at another.
                  It was the marriage that gave different information so the question would be what's your name? Anne Fisher - what's your status? widow - what's your father's name and occupation? John Heywood Gamekeeper.
                  Whereas on a birth registration it would be what's your name? Anne Whaite. What was your maiden name? Harris.

Margaret

Comment

Oh - now thats an interesting theory! illegitimate! I had not thought of that! so my next line of enquery would be the fisher M/C or try to find a Anne Harris on a census?

Comment

I've looked for a Fisher/Harris/Heywood marriage and cannot isolate one, so I would look for her on census.

OC

Comment

Just a thought - the birth cert is obviously not a photocopy of the original so perhaps it's just been transcribed wrongly?

Edit - No, ignore me, it has Harris and Fisher on it, so that theory won't work...

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their help so far - Im still having troube finding her on any earlier censuses than 1861 - might be resided to just getting the death cert and seeing if that adds anything

Comment

rob do you have a link to the 1861 census please? I'm not sure which name I should be looking under and I can't do a Cens Ref search on the new search on ancestry.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

hmmn what about this?

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1

she is stated as being wifes sister, so not showing if she is married or not, but there is a Thomas HARRIS a servant living/working with them..

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2035; Folio: 33; Page: 12; GSU roll: 87442.
                              Julie

Comment

this might be something to look at

1841:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1207; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Dodderhill; County: Worcestershire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 15; Page: 9; Line: 13; GSU roll: 464214.

Dodderhill isnt that far from Stourport.
                                Julie

Comment

might be worth contacting Tameside Archives, there may be something in the local newspaper of an inquest.
                                  email. localstudies.library@tameside.gov.uk

Comment

Julie wow thanks!!! im going to have a close look at these records a few things stack up for me - thomas is on both 1841 and 1851 and the ages match up - which links those two. And her mum was called Sarah (her first born girl was called Sarah) I cant make out her fathers occupation on the 1841 census - waterman??

Janet - what a great idea - I will do!

Comment

Yep Rob, waterman looks to be his occupation in 1841. I think now you have something to work with, in order not to 'go mad' and say they are yours you need to find them in subsequent census to see if they indeed are one and the same family. (I know its not foolproof, but it does help to fine tune things).

also with the 1851 it states that Ann is wifes sister, so you will need to look for an Emily HARRIS marrying a PRICE, and see if she ties in somewhere.

How do you know that Anns mum was a Sarah???
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X