Can anyone find a link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find a link?

In 1867 Mary Ann Goodall married Melford Sacre in Shoreditch. On the marriage cert. her father is listed as William Goodall, City missionary http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7357739

I am trying to work out exactly who Mary Annes parents were. She was born in Hampshire in 1845, and according to a number of trees on Ancestry, her parents were William and Charlotte - here in 1851 where William is a Farm Labourer. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=3492129

I have now found a William born in Hampshire in 1821 who is a City Missionary in London in the 1881, with wife Eliza http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=20388375.

There is a possible death for Charlotte in Lambeth in 1852, and a William marries Eliza in Lambeth in 1856. So my question is how likely is it for an Ag Lab to become a city missionary and go to London, and can anyone find any connection between this Mary Ann and William. As this is for a friend, at the moment certificates aren't an option. Also what happened to Williams first family with Charlotte - they all seem to have disappeared.

Sorry for the rambling, am getting very confused by this lot!
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I have not looked at your family as such yet, but I have a relative who came from a simple fishing village and ended up as a city missionary, hundreds of mile from home.
    So, to me, yes it is possible.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have you seen the marriage in London of Mary Ann Goodall to Melford Sacre - the father is listed as William Goodall, city missionary?
      oopps - sorry - just reread your post and you have that one - just ignore me!
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Of the 5 Goodall children listed in the 1851 census I have now found 4 (including Mary Ann) who married in London between 1864 and 1870 with father William, missionary. The ages seem to match too. This is looking promising.
        Linda

Comment

Did you find George? - there is a George Goodall in the 1881 census in Windsor - age is abit out - b 1846 but birthplace is Andover, Hampshire????
          herky

Comment

Thanks Herky, sorry to not answer before, got called away last night and didn't get back. I'll have a look for George in Windsor - I haven't tried tracking the children yet.

I found Williams death and probate this morning - for a missionary, he didn't do too bad. When he died in 1893 he left over £1680 to his widow.
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X