We've lost a policeman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've lost a policeman!

I do find searching the 1911 census difficult! I am trying to complete the family records and decided to search for my husband's grandfather. I can't find him anywhere. In desperation I searched for the address and found his wife and 3 small children. His wife had completed the form and entered herself as 'wife'. William Charles Morris was born in 1875 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight and moved to Portsmouth where he joined the Police. He remained there (as far as we know) for the rest of his career until he retired in 1926 as a sergeant. I presumed he was on night duty but I can find no possible mention of him. I have tried variations on his name and age but still no luck. Any ideas please?
    Shirley

sorry cant find him either ?

Comment

England and Wales Census, 1911 for William Charles Morris
      William Charles Morris
      Event: Census
      Event Date: 1911
      Birthplace: Portsmouth, Hampshire
      Record Type: Household
      Registration District: Portsmouth
      Sub-district: Portsea And Landport
      Parish: Portsmouth
      County: Hampshire

Familysearch showed this one so add the district and he is recorded born Portsmouth to see if it is him

Edna

Comment

Sorry -that's not him. That one is a linotype operator living with his parents.
        S

Comment

Does anyone know how to search for such places as barracks etc - maybe police stations would be under that category?

Comment

Discounting the age slightly, have you checked (done with a free search so no detail) -

William Morris 34 born Isle of Wight - on the Isle of Wight - in case he was visiting relatives.

Charles Morris 34 born Ventnor Isle of Wight in Faversham Kent - in case he used his second name.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There is a William Charles Morris age 41 living in Godshill Ventnor IOW says born Hale Surrey familysearch

Edna

Comment

What part of the IOW did he come from? Found one for Carisbrooke.
                Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  Discounting the age slightly, have you checked (done with a free search so no detail) -

William Morris 34 born Isle of Wight - on the Isle of Wight - in case he was visiting relatives.

Charles Morris 34 born Ventnor Isle of Wight in Faversham Kent - in case he used his second name.

Kent one is a baker
                  IOW one is a painter
                  Cirisbrooke one is a dairyman

I have searched on fmp with and without surname , with and without pol* in occupation age 10 years either side and can find zilch.
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-10-11, 21:00.
                  Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The one from Carisbrooke is listed as a Postman......chance it could be mistranscribed. Age 34 Boarder. Does state Single though.
                    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

found him under
                      William Charles Morris Police Constable born 1896 ???? thats why you cant find him ,Ventnor Isle of Wight
                      a married boarder living in High Street Whitwell Isle of Wight

Reference:

RG14PN5757 RG78PN262 RD93 SD5 ED8 SN47

Comment

It did occur to me that he might have nipped back to the IOW to see his mother, who was still alive then (she was the licensee of the White Horse at Whitwell). There are hundreds of Morrisses on the Isle of Wight - the family, I believe, can be traced back to the fourteenth century. I checked out all the Williams as well as all the Charleses. Still no luck!
                        Shirley

Comment

did you read my post above I found him

Comment

Just read your message Val - he obviously had gone back to see Mum! Just going to check it out.

Comment

Yes his age is 35 not 10 if you look very closely well done Val

High Street Whitwell I of Wight
                              Boarder with Fowler family
                              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

he is staying with a John Fowler and his wife

Comment

How amazing!!!! A 15-year-old married Police Constable! I searched with a wide date range - obviously not wide enough! The Fowler family were related- his Father's sister married a Fowler. I agree that the age was actually written as 35. Its so nice to think he had gone to see Mum.

Once again I owe you all a great debt. Next time I have such a problem I will remember to leave the date blank!
                                  Thanks to you all and especially Val.

greatest regards'
                                  Shirley

Comment

your welcome

Comment

Husband Brian also sends his thanks. I had been worrying away at the problem all day - making his life a misery!!!!

This is William Charles just after he joined Portsmouth Police

Comment

Henry Samuel Sigston Policeman.jpgthis is my Policeman circa 1855 he moved about a bit

Comment

Working...
                                        X