John Smith massive long shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Smith massive long shot

Hi I have been branching out a wee bit and wondered if anyone can help with my great grandfather Solomon's brother John Smith?

I have located his WW1 war record which states he joined the Royal Artillery on 24th January 1916 aged 22 years 2 months. He address at that time was 22 Canal Road, Mile End with is parents Solomon Smith and Mary Ann Stokes. The 1911 census has him aged 17 (2 years older than his brother) with place of birth Limehouse. On his brother Solomon's birth certificate dated 28th November 1895 the family were living at 122 Rhodeswell Road, Limehouse. In 1901 the family are living at 1 Regents Place, Stepney, Limehouse.

Basically I am trying to find out when John was born but more importantly did he get married and have any children? I know from his war record in 1916 his next of kin was either his dad or brother (both called Solomon) and no wife was mentioned so I am assuming he didn't get married, if he did, until after 1919.

I know it's probably too difficult with a name like John Smith but can anyone help? Unfortunately I have no family in London to ask and my father has never heard of John so I really am clutching at straws.

Thanks

Steven

There is a baptism on the LMA records on Ancestry for:

John Solomon Smith - parents Solomon (occ. carman) and Mary Ann - address 16 Tomlin Terrace
    Baptism 19 November 1893 - St John Limehouse Fields
    Date of birth: 17 October 1893

???
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that seems so close it must be right. The middle name of Solomon is a good indication and both parents first names match. I know Solomon was a boatman/Lighterman but sometimes seems to be a bit economical with the truth on how skilled he was!!!!! Year of birth is spot on thanks. I think I might order that certificate just to be 100% sure

Really appreciate your help as always

Steven

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful/relevant but John's occupation before WW1 was a sawyer

Comment

I wonder if it would help anyone to see the 1901 census?

Doing a free search in 1911 they are all still together in Mile end old town - London.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie appreciate the help

Steven

Comment

Elaine probably not but is there a death by chance for a John Solomon Smith. I thought maybe his middle name might be mentioned on his death certificate. If I was able to get the death certificate it might give me a clue if he was married eg wife named on certificate.

Just trying to think of ideas

Thanks

Steven

Comment

I did look earlier for a death registration but couldn't see anything with the middle name of Solomon, although there were a few John S Smith deaths!
                I also tried searching for a post 1970 death because you can search those by using the date of birth - but again nothing came up that looked to be of any use.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine I really appreciated you taking time to look

Steven

Comment

Working...
                  X